catenary safety system CSS

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Mrs Marple
Snr Member
Snr Member
Occupation: Transport Ops. Rail, Land & Sea (plus whatever else they throw at me)

catenary safety system CSS

Post by Mrs Marple »

Ok, until 60 minutes I'd never heard of this one. Pylon cables are being replaced - in some areas they will be scaffolding up and putting safety nets below the cables to catch them if they fall, in other places they will be relying on CSS .

I've had a quick goggle and maybe its because its Friday but nothing is making any sense.

Has anyone used / seen this type of system before ???

All suggestions appreciated , the good thing being that the guy from our side that was relaying the info didn't know either so I've suggested that the principle contractor attends site to talk us through it . Anything that will help me to ask the right questions will be appreciated .scratch .scratch .scratch + ../. = :D
“I sometimes wonder if the manufacturers of foolproof items keep a fool or two on their payroll to test things.”
—Alan Coren
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: catenary safety system CSS

Post by bernicarey »

Catenary - The curve a hanging flexible wire or chain assumes when supported at its ends and acted upon by a uniform gravitational force.

Also defined as : A catenary is a system of overhead wires used to supply electricity to a locomotive, streetcar, or light rail vehicle which is equipped with a pantograph.

I suspect this CSS uses a harness system hung from the wire at the top of the pylons. .scratch

Catenary basically means an overhead suspended cable. e.g.

http://www.s3i.co.uk/catenary_wire_cable_systems.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Hmm, you learn something new every day...

...before opening the thread i thought Catenary Safety System might be something to do with Canteens or kitchens :lol: :lol: :roll: :shock:
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
44thontarget
Student
Student

Post by 44thontarget »

Not sure of any use.

last year I noticed in our local patch loads of pylons being serviced or something. Anyway , lots of scaffolding up, a huge great net systems under the wires which spanned over the roads.
garry
Phil
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Phil »

In my trade (telecoms) a catenary wire was a wire used to support something else. usually another wire but sometimes pipes or ductwork.

A couple of years back I remember being mind boggled by guys working on the conductors between pylons whilst suspended from them in little baskets. Although I wouldn't refer to that as CSS, more like madness, it may be so. Either that or a wire put up for workers to clip onto.

It may even be that they put a catenary up especially for the job, especially since the job involves taking the conductors away which will affect the stresses on the pylons significantly.

See video of mad basketmen here
When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout. Image

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy