If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Teacher sacked on H&S grounds for sledging

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Re: Teacher sacked on H&S grounds for sledging

Post by grim72 »

To be fair to the teachers, from what I've seen the parents are often the biggest problem - unwilling to see any wrong in their own kids and wrapping them in cotton wool at home, then looking for compensation as soon as their kid falls over. If my son comes home with a scraped knee I'll ask him how it happens and 9 times out of 10 it is his own daft fault and I'll tell him as much. Is their a legal requirement for these ridiculous scenarios (ie RA) mentioned above (football cards, cones around puddles, running in playground etc) or is purely down to the head teachers' viewpoint? God knows how any kid is going to have a fulfilling childhood these days.
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Reddwarf »

It must have happened all the time to me as a kid as i forever had patches on my knees not sure if kids would put up with being humiliated with patches on the knees these days

But it never did me any harm .geek .geek .geek

Red
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

Likewise, it makes you what you are today. You have to learn to take the knocks, dust yourself down and carry on. I'm amazed kids are still allowed play cricket (those balls are hard you know), to ride bikes, go for walks or simply leave the house these days. I remember when I was at school my parents ran a general store and one of the teachers sent me to get him a pack of cigarettes during the lesson. Now I could accept someone being sacked for that these days.
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

grim72 wrote:I remember when I was at school my parents ran a general store and one of the teachers sent me to get him a pack of cigarettes during the lesson. Now I could accept someone being sacked for that these days.

Ha ha ha, I'm obviously not old enough to remember such things! Although there were some interresting goings on when I was at school. I sympathise with teachers full stop as I was a pain in the bum at school and if I tried to teach a child like me I'd go mad!
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
draiggoch
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Social Housing

Post by draiggoch »

The sledging happened almost 2 years ago and from the comment at the bottom it seems that there were other disciplinary issues against the teacher leading to the dismissal. Could be the last straw and they threw the book at him.
The news story itself concerned whether he was fit to teach in the eyes of the Welsh teaching board (General Teaching Council for Wales).
I have taught myself in a past life and schools generally pat themselves on the back concerning their policies but rarely follow them, the anti bullying policy being a prime example.
If the teacher had got along with his peers and the management the most he would have got would be a slap on the wrist, it's just an example of an organisation seizing on an issue to get rid of a member of staff.
D.
jonsi
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Polymer Processing

Post by jonsi »

This was on the Welsh News last night. The guy won his case for unfair dismissal. It wasn't so much about him going sledging and not having carried out any form of RA 'cos he did (it was him + 2 pupils apparently) but it was everything to do with the Head Teacher saying no-one should go sledging on that hill over there then discovering that the guy had gone and done just that. In my opinion it was a battle of wills with the Head Teacher aiming to prove he had bigger cojones and more clout than the guy he sacked.

An over-reaction by the Head Teacher who should have resolved it by a warning or reprimand not a sacking. It's now likely the guy will sue taking money out of the School & LEA's budget but he's now free to carry on teaching and, because he's been cleared, any school that doesn't take him on (he was a Head of Dept. after all) could be found guilty of unfair discrimination.

Well thought out by the Head Teacher wasn't it?
"Talk about Mental Illness - because it will touch your life this year. "
andybz
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by andybz »

I think some of the facts are getting lost here.

I don't think the teacher won any case for unfair dismissal. Whilst he has not been banned from teaching, he did receive a formal reprimand with four of nine charge found to be proven. The case was not an employment tribunal.

I think this is purely a staff disciplinary case. Whether the health and safety rules set by the school were correct is difficult to say without knowing the details. The headteacher clearly wanted to stop pupils playing in the snow and was obviously unhappy when a teacher then encouraged them to do that.
Risk, safety and health
Human factors and ergonomics
http://www.simplesensiblesafety.co.uk
http://www.andybrazier.co.uk

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy