IOSH Peer review interview

HSfB might have things to say, big things might need to be announced, this is the forum we will announce those big things.

Moderator: Moderators

jen

IOSH Peer review interview

Post by jen »

I have my peer review interview in a couple of weeks for the second time, first time 12 months ago was a nightmare. Anyone had one recently that can tell me they have got better, mine was so formal I just got stage struck and couldn't remember anything.
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Re: IOSH Peer review interview

Post by Jack Kane »

Hey Jen,

Welcome to the forums :D :wave:

I've not had my peer review interview yet, but I've spoken with people at IOSH about it and they have made me feel a wee bit better about the entire thing. Maybe you could do the same? Try contacting your local IOSH branch, or drop them an email telling them of your concerns.

All the best for your next interview.

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
Frankie C
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Frankie C »

Ring IOSH and ask to speak to Fiona Gelling.
Ask her to find you an IPD Mentor (she will have a list of them) to whom you can contact to discuss your interview.
Mentoring can be done by telephone or face to face depending upon locations.
Frankie C
"You must give some time to your fellow man"
Albert Schweitzer 1875 - 1965

http://www.indicator.co.uk/en/domains/d ... hp?domid=6
jkelleher

Post by jkelleher »

Hi Jen,

I had my peer review interview about 1 month ago, it was held in the Bristol area. This was my first interview and I have to say i was totally unsure as to what to expect i did try to find out about what experiences other people had had but to be honest this is about you and what you are about. I found that concentrating on what i was about and trying not to worry about what was going to happen on the day really helped me. It kept me calm and pretty relaxed. I went into the interview knowing what i was going to say and how i was going to present myself. You only have about 1 hour to convince the panel what you are about. If you know your job and can talk about yourself then you should be ok.
Julie from IOSH IPD department was very good, she explained what was going to happen and i just got on with it. I think the trick is not to take it all too serious, formal or not be yourself and you should be fine.

I did and i passed.

Jim
jeannealbi

Post by jeannealbi »

I have my IOSH peer review interview in Septemebr and I am panicking. I have submitted my presentation and Record of Emplyment but am feeling very nervous about the whole process. I have been searchig for ANY help at all and found all your comments very helpful. Especially yours Jim. Well done ! Respect.

I was thinking on the same lines as you that if I'm prepared and know my job and can talk about it that is all I can do.Preparation.Preparation.

Still doesn't stop me panicking!! :oops:
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Hi jeannealbi :wave:

Welcome

My big bit of advice would be to take some aide memoir cards in with you. I didn't see mention of them on the IOSH website so assumed you had to do it all from memory, approaching it like an exam; you don't.
I flunked my PRI recently on a couple of bits where I went completely blank, especially the new Code of Conduct which they are very keen on people knowing. I'd read through it many times but come the day I went blank on several areas of it. I couldn't even remember 3 of the 4 headings that it is split into. I was kicking myself at that point!!!
I also didn't fully grasp where one of the panel was going when he was asking about active monitoring. I went and got fixated on monitoring exposure to substances etc, but he was after things like monitoring equipment status, reports etc.
If I'd had some memory joggers with me I'd have hopefully sailed through.

Have you got a copy of the Panel report form? It's on the link above under 'Core Questions'.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi jeannealbi :wave: Welcome to HSfB. Good luck with the interview. ./thumbsup..
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
jeannealbi

Post by jeannealbi »

Thanks very much for that Berni. It does say you can take notes in but "not copious "ones. Aide memoir cards sounds perfect. Thank you! I do worry about having a mental block on the day.I have everythig IOSH provides as help and am working through the Core questions AND the Code of Conduct which everyone says they do concentrate on. But I keep having cold feet, and second thoughts. Which does not help.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate your time.
Fletcher
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Retired

Post by Fletcher »

There are several things to remember about your PRI.
1) You are allowed to attend a PRI because IOSH have decided that your qualifications, experience and knowledge are at the base level required to be a chartered member.
2) Your interviewers are not out to trick you, they are only going to ask questions about you, what you claim to have done and the experiences you claim to have had,
e.g. if you claim to have worked in a port they may ask questions about how you record your crane testing or they may give you a scenario about what you would do if a container of hazardous
chemicals caught fire.
3) The Code of Conduct is important and you should have at least read it and know what is expected of you as an IOSH member.
4) All interviewers attend a day course run by IOSH to standardise their way of judging you.
5) You will be judged against certain general criteria that all professional practitioners should be practising in their daily lives, as I have said there are no trick questions.
6) You are not expected to be a fully conversant chartered member but you are expected to show the aptitude to becoming one starting on the first rung (this includes management skills).
7) From my experience people who fail the PRI are just not ready and need maybe a year's more experience of putting what they know into practice.

Remember IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU- WHAT YOU DID, HOW YOU DID IT, WHAT YOU WOULD DO, and you are the expert on YOU
jeannealbi

Post by jeannealbi »

Fletcher- thank you so much for your considered and very helpful reply. You are reinforcing what I am now beginning to understand the process will be. Until I started looking at this and the IOSH forums I did feel very alone, doing all this in the back bedroom as it were, without speaking to others in the same boat.
Thank you very much! I've printed out your advice and will read it when I'm starting to panic. Jeanne
Fletcher
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Retired

Post by Fletcher »

Jeanne,

No problem,
The PRI is really just the final check to ensure that all the work you submitted to IOSH was yours and that you are ready to take the step off the top of one ladder to somewhere on the next.

Good Luck, be you, listen to the questions and answer the questions that are asked, don't look for tricks there aren't any.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Fletcher, I would agree with you up to a point.

The 1 year seems to be a bit arbitrary, as it depends on what areas the individual did not 'score enough'. Without going into it too much, my biggest flunk was the Code of Conduct, despite having read it several times and feeling very conversant with it before I went in.
Come the question, after an hour of other questioning, I froze up and went blank. Zero, couldn't remember a thing. I don't see how that will change after a year.
Next time I'll take in the aide memoir that I'm allowed.
If I were being picky and hacked off, I'd say it would be nice if they told you about that and not just slip in in half way down a web page where you might find it if you go looking. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy