IOSH Peer review interview

HSfB might have things to say, big things might need to be announced, this is the forum we will announce those big things.

Moderator: Moderators

wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas / Renewables / Consultancy

Re: IOSH Peer review interview

Post by wendolene26 »

Hi Molly,

Yes, of course. Send me a note and I'll see what we can do to help.

Wendo .salut
You are only a millimetre or a millisecond away from the next incident.
safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @safety_gal

Post by safetygal »

When I went for my Peer review I was terrified and my palms were sweating, even though I was reminded beforehand that

1) you have done all the hard work, the hard work is the reason you are in the room
2) its a peer review - the word peer is important here - Definition - a person who is an equal, the people interviewing you are just the same as you
3) this is your time to shine, talk about all the fantastic things you do and how wonderful you are. we are all really good at putting ourselves down. Be prepared with work examples and you will be fab

I have now written this and realise that its over a year later - but i will leave it in there anyway, it might help someone else
rocketman
Student
Student

Post by rocketman »

safetygal wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:13 pm When I went for my Peer review I was terrified and my palms were sweating, even though I was reminded beforehand that

1) you have done all the hard work, the hard work is the reason you are in the room
2) its a peer review - the word peer is important here - Definition - a person who is an equal, the people interviewing you are just the same as you
3) this is your time to shine, talk about all the fantastic things you do and how wonderful you are. we are all really good at putting ourselves down. Be prepared with work examples and you will be fab

I have now written this and realise that its over a year later - but i will leave it in there anyway, it might help someone else
Absolutely helpful! I have been considering going for CMIOSH myself and was looking for other peoples experience, I am sure many others like myself do the same.
CMIOSH :D
Anders501
Student
Student

Post by Anders501 »

I had my PRI last month and I was so nervous. I had completed so much pre-reading to remind myself of key areas, as well as the IOSH Code of Conduct. I'm not based in UK so felt I needed to have a good read through lots of things on the HSE website as a refresher. The PRI was conducted via Skype. I'd had a particularly challenging workday and had to take a break just so I could complete the PRI, then return to work after.

In fairness the PRI panel, including the IOSH rep were great, put me at ease, explained the process etc. Anyway, first question was so basic but it absolutely threw me a curve ball. A subject I know but hadn't read up on and I found myself floundering as it was so unexpected, not that I had any idea what to expect but it was one of those, where did that come from moments. I felt it went from bad to worse and I signed off from the meeting feeling deflated and convinced myself I'd flunked it. I even contacted IOSH to ask about the process for a resit!

Anyway, I actually passed and needless to say I was elated and a tad emotional. It was an awful lot of work building the portfolio and answering the SDP criteria, I can only thank the panel for actually seeing through my rough day and nerves and actually wording the questions in a manner that was easy to understand and then having the patience to listen while I waffled insanely on.

It's so simple to say 'it's easy' once you've completed it, but it's not, and it isn't meant to be, nor should be. It's challenging and tests you. However if you are in a H&S position it's highly likely you have, can, or will produce the work necessary to fulfil the SDP criteria if that's the route you go. The example templates were extremely helpful. I can only look back on it now and actually say I enjoyed it.

If anyone is doubting themselves, don't. I didn't think I could achieve it but I did. I'm CMIOSH and incredibly proud of myself. If I can help anyone with my experience feel free to DM me.

Good Luck

Anders
rocketman
Student
Student

Post by rocketman »

Hi All

I have just had my PRI this morning. Like Anders501 I feel like I have failed, guess only time will tell. The interview started off well and I felt confident having done my presentation and answering the questions on risk assessment and accident investigation. Then :( questions on health surveillance, which I had not been refreshing myself on and human behaviour (which I haven't read upon for ages!). It doesn't help that in my organisation we only appoint a contractor for HS and line managers refer staff members, I answered the best I could. This totally knocked my duck off and the rest of the interview is a bit of a blur!

Feel sick to my stomach, I just want to know the outcome, either way.

So, for anyone who has a PRI coming up, please be aware they can ask all sorts of questions, not just the ones in this thread.

I'll let you know the result when it comes in!

Rocketman
Anders501 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:16 pm I had my PRI last month and I was so nervous. I had completed so much pre-reading to remind myself of key areas, as well as the IOSH Code of Conduct. I'm not based in UK so felt I needed to have a good read through lots of things on the HSE website as a refresher. The PRI was conducted via Skype. I'd had a particularly challenging workday and had to take a break just so I could complete the PRI, then return to work after.

In fairness the PRI panel, including the IOSH rep were great, put me at ease, explained the process etc. Anyway, first question was so basic but it absolutely threw me a curve ball. A subject I know but hadn't read up on and I found myself floundering as it was so unexpected, not that I had any idea what to expect but it was one of those, where did that come from moments. I felt it went from bad to worse and I signed off from the meeting feeling deflated and convinced myself I'd flunked it. I even contacted IOSH to ask about the process for a resit!

Anyway, I actually passed and needless to say I was elated and a tad emotional. It was an awful lot of work building the portfolio and answering the SDP criteria, I can only thank the panel for actually seeing through my rough day and nerves and actually wording the questions in a manner that was easy to understand and then having the patience to listen while I waffled insanely on.

It's so simple to say 'it's easy' once you've completed it, but it's not, and it isn't meant to be, nor should be. It's challenging and tests you. However if you are in a H&S position it's highly likely you have, can, or will produce the work necessary to fulfil the SDP criteria if that's the route you go. The example templates were extremely helpful. I can only look back on it now and actually say I enjoyed it.

If anyone is doubting themselves, don't. I didn't think I could achieve it but I did. I'm CMIOSH and incredibly proud of myself. If I can help anyone with my experience feel free to DM me.

Good Luck

Anders
rocketman
Student
Student

Post by rocketman »

Hi All

I passed!!!!

I was 99.9% sure I had failed. Just 4 years into my H&S career, I have managed to achieve Chartered status. I am not at all academic, but I will put the work in where required. If you are thinking about going for CMIOSH, I would say go for it, you might surprise yourself! (I certainly did!).

FYI, I found out the result on 24 Jan, just 3 working days after the interview. Good luck to all those going for it!

Rocketman
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Many congratulations Rocketman!

Wonderful news and such an inspiration to others who may be doubting themselves .cheers

congrats :wav:
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @safety_gal

Post by safetygal »

rocketman wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:12 am Hi All

I passed!!!!

I was 99.9% sure I had failed. Just 4 years into my H&S career, I have managed to achieve Chartered status. I am not at all academic, but I will put the work in where required. If you are thinking about going for CMIOSH, I would say go for it, you might surprise yourself! (I certainly did!).

FYI, I found out the result on 24 Jan, just 3 working days after the interview. Good luck to all those going for it!

Rocketman
freaking awesome!!!! Well done!!! .cheers .cheers .cheers

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy