Hired stuff

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Phil
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Hired stuff

Post by Phil »

Over the years I have turned up on site where hired equipment has been delivered and signed for by other people, all paperwork correct, and wondered what the hell we were paying for. Examples of things I have returned include ...

A ceiling panel lifter where the adjustable support arms were rusted solid.

A vehicle mounted cherrypicker which filled with diesel fumes when driven.

A scissorlift which failed at height because a limit switch was jammed with rubble from the last job.

A hydraulic grid lifter with tiny split pins fittted in holes clearly made for something more substantial

Stepladders with bent treads.

I could include many more. These were all from large national hire companies and they genuinly seemed annoyed when I requested replacements.

Does anyone else ever get poorly maintained equipment from hire firms? :?
When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout. Image
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Re: Hired stuff

Post by kevlarion »

We used to, but we've now found reliable suppliers who charge a little bit more than the cheapest, but we don't have to clean up equipment before use.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
liamr
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Facilities

Post by liamr »

the hire firm i use inspect upon return of anything hired. if there is anything wrong with the equipment I (the hirer) get charged. this includes a cleaning charge if necessary 8)

this way, i (as a hirer) usually get tools and equipment that's clean and serviced.

the name................

http://www.gap-group.co.uk/about/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
other hire firms are available
Last edited by Alexis on Sat May 29, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
frankie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by frankie »

One of the most regular faults must surely be Alloy Scaffold Towers. Almost every time one is hired in for a PASMA course, there is reason to contact the company to replace one or two components due to either a bracing with a faulty lock, pins missing, hinges bent on trap doors, timbers wrong length to use as toe boards, brake not working on castor...etc and these are supplied by PASMA registered suppliers.
nige b
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: groundworks

Post by nige b »

Must admit we use a firm who are (little jewels ) when we hire any thing in always had good kit from them
( No Connections )
but our client often get stuff from mr M Mouse hire and guess what its iffy stuff

Nige
whatever the future im a happy bunny? Its now the future and I AM a happy bunny
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

I guess the answer is to treat them as you would any other supplier. If one of our component suppliers constantly sent us sub standard parts we would go elsewhere simple as that. Although I do think some people would be more inclined to use damagd equipment if it had been hired in to avoid the hassle of getting it changed.
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy