Extinguisher discharge tests

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

bigrob019
Snr Member
Snr Member
Occupation: Safety, Health and Environmental Compliance Manager

Extinguisher discharge tests

Post by bigrob019 »

Does anyone know the rules regading fire extinguisher discharge tests?
I am told that 20% of extinguishers over 5 years old should be discharged each year. Due to the high cost of re-filling it means that it is uneconomical to test and means that some five year old extinguishers need to be replaced. This seems absurd. Any info would be welcome.
'Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail'.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Extinguisher discharge tests

Post by Alexis »

Rob, there's some info in here. http://www.rightaction.co.uk/downloads/ ... 0Sheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
AdamJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @thenoisechap

Post by AdamJ »

Due to the high cost of re-filling it means that it is uneconomical to test and means that some five year old extinguishers need to be replaced.
Just on your specific question, re-filling an extinguisher should cost peanuts - they're not expensive at all to re-fill so you shouldn't be buying new ones just based on a re-fill cost. An extended test at 5 years costs a little more but buying new ones should again not be an economical thing to do - exchange is OK and common, but buying new would be unnecessary. At the 10 year test for CO2 you may find that there is little in it beween buying new and doing the 10 year test.
vegiman
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by vegiman »

We are going through a simalar experience on my site regarding extinguishers, so your answer was spot on for me BANNED USER ./thumbsup.. cheers
"I'm not all alone in the dark.I like the dark.I love the dark". Chunk - The Goonies

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy