Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

bogtrotter
The Real Keyser Soze
The Real Keyser Soze

TUC diploma in occupational health and safety

Post by bogtrotter »

Hi all,
I am just about to embark on the tuc stage three, has anyone done it before, any advice would be welcome.
Doing it via the on-line option, good to see that some people are begining to understand that not everyone can get time off to do a course, yup i am aware of the SRSC handbook regs, but as we are all aware sometimes it's better not to rock the boat too early in a vouage, otherwise you end up swimming against the tide for a lot longer than you need to!!

Anyway all contributions will be greatly recived.

Boggy :lol:
Most people learn by observation, and there are the few who learn by experimentation. And then there are those who actually TOUCH the fire to see if it's really hot.
Coldrop
Major Injury
Major Injury
Industry Sector: Construction,RC Frame,Civils & Utilities

Re: TUC diploma in occupational health and safety

Post by Coldrop »

Boggy, dont get your hopes up if you already have the nebosh cert, read this from the dark side.......

We have been doing a bit of research on the TUC Diploma and it does seem to be at level 3, similar to the Certificate that IOSH accredit. We are undertaking some investigations regarding this as we suspect that there has been a name change and we haven't been notified here at IOSH.
As a level 3 course it would meet the academic requirements for Technician Membership.

Hazel Harvey
Re: TUC Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
Posted by Hazel Harvey on Friday, 07 December 2007 at 14:10
Mark,
I have had confirmation from the TUC that the Diploma is the retitled certificate at level 3. This is in line with trials for the new QCF that is currently in development. Thanks for alerting me to this one.
Hazel Harvey
Its a renamed certificate
Intellectuals solve problems but Geniuses prevent them!
bogtrotter
The Real Keyser Soze
The Real Keyser Soze

Post by bogtrotter »

Thanks coldrop,
I don't have the general cert (NEBOSH) as yet, but will be getting back at it shortly, but i thought lets get the TUC set done and dusted then start on the others, it just felt like a half done job, having one and two without the level 3. iam i making any sense?
Someone at work told me that it was a re-named certificate exam and not to hold too much on the fact it was called a DIPLOMA, but he said that you can still apply for techiosh status, which has gotta be a good thing in my case, showing, all be it a small amount, a degree of competence in health and safety which could be all i need to get a job in health and safety then i can work my way up through the ranks.
I have tryed all other avenues to no avail, and i am at the stage now where i need to get a job with decent money,in a good company doing the job i love,
Boggy :D
Most people learn by observation, and there are the few who learn by experimentation. And then there are those who actually TOUCH the fire to see if it's really hot.
sleepy184
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by sleepy184 »

Hi Boggy,
I am currently trying to get on the TUC stage 3 course but like you say, getting the release is going to be the problem. I may have a long fight on my hands.
I prefer to do it via a college than online as you get the interactiveness (if that's a word) from your class mates.
Practice Random acts of Kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
Coldrop
Major Injury
Major Injury

Post by Coldrop »

Choose either the nebosh cert OR the TUC level 3, as the are the same thing but different title its a shame to waste money

if you've started the nebosh cert, stick with it, there is light at the end of the tunnel, honest

You only get the tech.iosh status with 5 years experience, that applyies to the TUC level 3 and the gen cert

May I suggest you visit the iosh website, have a read thru the membership levels section

good luck ./thumbsup.
sleepy184
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by sleepy184 »

Coldrop, with regards the five years experience, does this have to be in a Health and Safety role as in, that is your main job or can it be someone who has a normal job but is a union safety Representitive?
Practice Random acts of Kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
bogtrotter
The Real Keyser Soze
The Real Keyser Soze

Post by bogtrotter »

Coldrop, i have fifteen years experiance, read through the membership details and even e-mailed iosh to get clarification, most helpful, but a little stuck up i feel, but hey we all can't be the same eh?.

Sleepy, if you PM me, i will give you the details of the course and the on-line bits. so then you can work somthing out with your employer. ;)
SteveDDon
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by SteveDDon »

Hi Boggy

I completed the TUC stage 3 certificate a few years ago.
It was not easy but as I suffer from mild dyslexia it was easier than trying to get my head round NEBOSH speak.

The only problem I had was that the online system would not let me download anything from the site due to Hospital firewalls and no support for my Mac at home.
But the tutor was great and did every thing by e-mail for me.

Now a Technician Member of IOSH.

Steve
Unite H&S
bogtrotter
The Real Keyser Soze
The Real Keyser Soze

Post by bogtrotter »

Thanks Steve,
It's good to know that the tutors are willing to help as much as that. i am going in a bit bilnd as i did the stage one and two about ten years ago now at a totally differant geographical location as to where i am now
Coldrop
Major Injury
Major Injury

Post by Coldrop »

Sleepy

The iosh website describes the criteria for the membership, I "think" part time counts but please check the IOSH site for confirmation, I'm too tired to look now cos as its ten to one in the morning, I'm sleepy now :lol:
HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Post by HelenPJ »

Hi Boggy,

I did the TUC Access Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety (aka Stage 3) and it was a really good course, helped give me more confidence and provided excellent background on potential and actual H&S problems in a variety of workplaces and situations.
I was lucky enough to get paid release from my job (mainly due to precedence), to attend college, and also additional paid time at work to enable me to do the coursework.

It did take a bit of a fight, although I had an understanding and supportive manager, you have to satisfy Managers further up the chain as well...

Boggy, perhaps you could negotiate for some "Study Time" in the workplace? You are prepared to study in your own time (and sympathise with the route you have taken, as, despite SRSC and numerous Employment Tribunals, getting Your employer to negotiate the release can be so difficult it's nigh on impossible... :( )
But I see no reason why you cannot use the Training bits of the regs to help you out with a "couple of hours" a week? That way you can study in your own time and at your own place, but undertake the Workplace Activities necessary (e.g. Surveys, reviewing Workplace Risk Assessments etc) in the workplace ;)

Presumably you have contacts within your union, so use them for Networking etc and don't forget to Ask Away on Here of course :D

Anyway, from the downloadable brochure about TUC Online Courses:
The online courses allow union reps to network with other reps and study for nationally recognised educational credits and awards
and
All courses are delivered through a web-based learning environment called Moodle.
Group activities take place using an online discussion board, which learners can log into whenever is convenient for them. They receive support from tutors specially qualified in online teaching.
You know it will be Hard Work but like all studying, rewarding .sunny
Don't forget the Downloads section on here, either, some Very Useful stuff which will help you out in TUC course due to the similar requirements of the syllabus between TUC Stage 3 & NEBOSH Cert ;) ../.
I would also recommend you sign up to the TUC Risks e-bulletin if you have not done so already, and consider joining the TUC UnionReps Bulletin Board - useful gen on there from the TU perspective, and the quality of advice about TU Workplace situations and how to tackle them is usually of a high standard
There will be a lot of ../. but if you're like me, it will seem a Bit Much to start with, but keep going and suddenly It All Makes Sense (the Aha moment) :shock: :lol:
Once that's happened, Anorak Time is a short step away [smilie=trust_me.gif]
And you may find tendencies (increased?) to [smilie=boese055.gif]
Good luck, Boggy, enjoy the course .salut ./thumbsup..
Helen
Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Aristotle
bogtrotter
The Real Keyser Soze
The Real Keyser Soze

Post by bogtrotter »

Thanks Helen some really usefull info there. i will get on with joining up for the e-bulitins as i finish here
Ta muchly.
Boggy :D

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy