If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Event Tree Analysis questions

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

goju

Event Tree Analysis questions

Post by goju »

Hi,

I have a nebosh diploma question on event tree anaylsis to answer.

Can someone point me in the right direction for step by step guide. (Any examples)

I have the RMS book for the diploma, but would like more detail.

Any help appricated.

Many thanks
Gladiator
My Name is Maximus Decimus Meridius
My Name is Maximus Decimus Meridius

Re: Event Tree Analysis questions

Post by Gladiator »

Event tree often referred to as 'Fault tree' analysis is a simple (ish) tool to reactively examine what led to a particular set of circumstances; possibly incident related or accident/fatality. The Police and Insurers regularly use this formula when investigating RTA's, i.e. what happened where and to whom and why?

Successful completion of the tree will show you the underling causes, intermediate and immediate causation factors. Not the tool that was once feared, it is in actual fact quite a simplistic process that one undertakes frequently on a dynamic basis (without realising it)!

There is some limited information available on the www, but with all research undertaken in this manner, one must be certain it is up to date (which the www is not as a generalism), it is therefore little more than a method of illustrating and analysing the relationships between a sequence of outcomes that may arise over time, and in the main you will see more referring to 'fault' than 'event' as in the majority of cases it is teh 'fault' that dictates the need to pride analysis of any given situation. Some say 'event' some say 'fault' and many will try to defend the need for both; in this posters experience they are indeed extremely similar in the methodolgy utilised in their production.

G
Chris Baker
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Training and advisory
Location: Barrow in Furness to work but Sunny Morecambe to live

Post by Chris Baker »

Sounds like its similar to the 5 Whys?
"The author himself is the best judge of his own performance, none has so deeply meditated on the subject, none is so sincerely interestedin the event."
Edward Gibbons 1737 - 1794
lewes
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by lewes »

Ive had to do this for my NVQ 4

I can email you what I compiled if you like.

PM me your email adress
Welsh Girl
Student
Student

Post by Welsh Girl »

I'm doing one at the moment- Tony Boyle's Risk Management (IOSH publication) has some good info ../.
andybz
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by andybz »

Some of the terminology may be used interchangeably, but the explanations given so far do not follow my understanding of the main techniques.

Event tree analysis is used to consider all the potential consequences of a given event. You build the tree in a way that allows the probability of each different consequence. See http://www.eventtreeanalysis.com/

Fault tree analysis is used to consider how an event of interest can occur. You build the tree in a way that allows the probability of that event to be calculated.

The retrospective analysis of an accident in order to identify root causes is usually called 'causal tree analysis' and involves asking 'why' at each level of the analysis.

I hope this helps.

Andy
Risk, safety and health
Human factors and ergonomics
http://www.simplesensiblesafety.co.uk
http://www.andybrazier.co.uk

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy