IOSH CPD

HSfB might have things to say, big things might need to be announced, this is the forum we will announce those big things.

Moderator: Moderators

NikkiNoo
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Construction
Occupation: Health and Safety manager in Strip-Out works (Deconstruction)

Re: IOSH CPD

Post by NikkiNoo »

I'm only doing my NEBOSH construction cert (With the CMIOSH firmly in site, eventually), But I have a personal log, something I learned when I did my teaching qualification.. A reflective blog really helps me and it will account for something with CPD.. I hope??
YoungNick
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: CDM - Rail - Telecoms
Attainments: NGC, NCC, FCC, NDIP (H&S), SMSTS - GradIOSH.

Post by YoungNick »

NikkiNoo wrote:I'm only doing my NEBOSH construction cert (With the CMIOSH firmly in site, eventually), But I have a personal log, something I learned when I did my teaching qualification.. A reflective blog really helps me and it will account for something with CPD.. I hope??

Hi NN

You are correct, you will be able to back date relevant experiences you have picked up and other training courses you have previously attended when it comes to completing your CPD.

It is a really good idea to keep logging this information as it can be quite easy to forget!

Nick
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

A big thank you to all the members here at HSfB.
royhse

Re: IOSH IPD/CPD

Post by royhse »

Dear,

I have achieved NEBOSH DIPLOMA and Grad.IOSH. Currently I am focusing to upgrade Grad.IOSH to CMIOSH. Can anyone guide me on this subject ?

Thanks & Regards,
Roy
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Good Morning royhse. :wave:

A very warm welcome to HSfB.

I am sure someone will come in with their experience to help with your query. ./thumbsup..

Good to have you aboard.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
redspelly
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Oil & Gas

Post by redspelly »

Just had all my IPD approved and accepted - does anyone know what happens next?
Do I have to contact IOSH for CPD audit or will they get in touch
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Which IPD Route? The SDP?
If that's all approved and closed off, then contact membership to book a PRI. They will automatically review your CPD as part of the PRI booking process.

If you can actually get to a Branch meeting, you'll get a lot of help from them in this.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

redspelly
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Oil & Gas

Post by redspelly »

Thanks for that - i went down the SDP route and really surprised how easy the whole process was - the fact that i had evidence that met each criteria obviously helped a great deal.

I will contact membership tomorrow and hope to get the peer review early 2017
wullieb1967

Post by wullieb1967 »

I have only just recently obtained my Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety and as yet to join IOSH......what are your thoughts,is it too soon to be registering with IOSH?

Thanks in advance,
Wullie
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Wullie

Never too soon to join ;)

You can join as TechIOSH with the NGC, Grad IOSH with the Diploma:

http://www.iosh.co.uk/Membership/About- ... px#whatcat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Evolution
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by Evolution »

Hi, so I need a bit of guidance, I am currently a member of IOSH and am now looking to transfer to tech (I submitted the form and certs yesterday).

I started updating my cpd a few months ago and used it more as a diary than anything else but obviously if i'm upgraded to tech it becomes compulsory. I have read through this thread and still have a couple of questions. I apologise in advance for the wall of text.

I see people referring to allocating themselves points. I currently have no option to do this. Has this changed so you no longer have to allocate points or is it not active until I have to do CPD or am I missing something?

Secondly in the OP, it says not to date CPD before you have to start CPD, i'm a little confused, I imagine the idea is that anything you have done before doesn't count towards your cycle so if you hold off you can sort of load it a little bit. I have done quite a bit that will count towards it and have absolutely no worries about achieving 30 points a year going forward, so is this really relevant to me and if so what can I do about it now?

Lastly, as I said I've been using the CPD more as a diary than anything else, I think i've managed to get the idea but would still like some feedback on the direction I have taken so far. I've attached an example below.

South Wales Safety Group meeting, Taffs Well RFC

I was invited to join The South Wales safety group for a presentation by Global Drone Surveys on the safe use of drones. This encompassed Operator requirements, licenses, required insurances and permissions from the Civil Aviation Authority. The presentation covered the legal requirements that must be followed in order to operate a drone commercially and the types of scenario in which a drone could be utilised effectively, eg, Confined spaces, Aiding rescue efforts, Work at height inspections and topological surveys.

I enjoyed the presentation although it was a little short on technical information, I have an interest in Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and there have been a number of near miss events involving drones quite recently. There is even a video available on youtube showing a drone striking the wing of an aeroplane during take off (although I am unsure of its validity). I can appreciate the uses of drones and their potential to provide a safer method of entering high risk areas, after all we have been using machines as a safer way of doing things for years but I have my reservations regarding the unauthorised use of such equipment.

At present the CAA are responsible for regulation of the industry but the Police service are responsible for enforcement. From the information provided by Global surveys it is possible for a pilot to privately own and operate a drone with no training at all, provided they are not doing it commercially. This then raises the question of how do you keep them out of high risk areas.

Imagine the following scenarios.

A group of children get some drones as christmas presents and decide to fly them around wherever they like, maybe a high street, construction site or a oil refinery.
Someone with a drone decides to fly over a large crowd and drop a bag of white powder.

Both these scenarios are neither implausible or unforeseeable.

Geofencing is a technique that involves blocking the drone's access to high risk areas via an invisible fence that is built into the drones software, it simply cannot go beyond specified points. Airports and some sensitive military installations are currently using this method but it has it's drawbacks. This option is also limited by a number of factors, the most obvious ones are, the practicality of setting up a geofence and the adoption of this technique by drone manufacturers to enable this system to be effective. In order for geofencing to actually work in real life, all drone manufacturers have to get behind the idea and build geofencing into their products, they then have to make it impossible to override the GPS systems that allow it to work. Currently most non professional drones work on radio frequencies that are not affected by geofencing. It was also suggested by GBS that many installations do not want to install geofencing as it will draw attention the fact that they do not want drones to operate around their premises.

The second system of defence involves blocking all radio frequencies in the immediate area (similar to what the police service use in bomb situations). However this has a major drawback, with the use of Wifi being prevalent in almost all areas in the UK it is almost impossible to use this system without causing major disruption to neighbouring businesses and residential neighbourhoods .

Drones can undoubtedly be beneficial provided they are used appropriately and they can make many high level activities a lot safer through their use. I would feel confident recommending this system for certain tasks but special consideration needs to be given to the fact that the Lithium Polymer batteries are potentially explosive if not used correctly or become damaged. Explosive atmospheres for example could present a huge risk if adequate precautions were not taken.

As this is an emerging technology I will keep myself up to date with the latest developments and look forward to revisiting this issue in the future.

I eagerly await any responses and constructive criticism is welcomed.

Thanks
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Bump.

Thank you in advance to anyone who could help Evolution. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Well, I'll admit to not reading all of Evolution's post simply because I have a passionate hatred of the word 'Drone' to describe a remotely operated air vehicle. I realise that it's an actual company name, but that's their problem and IMHO a dumbing down of their activities.

But, in principle, answering the questions as I found them....
I see people referring to allocating themselves points
Points no longer happen. You now just say which category you are allocating it to.
So there's no getting 30 points in a period, the system is ongoing and never ending - it's not in a cycle of 'periods'.
Secondly in the OP, it says not to date CPD before you have to start CPD,
I imagine that means it won't count towards your CPD, but since the system has changed a lot in the past 10 years... .scratch
basically don't get carried away back dating stuff.

Now to your content. If you want to write that much, then fine, but I wouldn't. Just keep it short and sweet, concise and relevant. If someone is going to read it all to check it, they don't want to read great tomes.

I personally don't know why people think it's hard work or worry about it. I had mine reviewed before my Peer Review Interview and had no adverse comments.

For example, one of my entries
'May 2014 - Legal Update Seminar - Just a quick update session. Nothing special, but worth logging for Maintenance of Skills.'

.salut

I have edited the Original Post to explain that there have been several changes in the past 10+ years.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy