IOSH CPD

HSfB might have things to say, big things might need to be announced, this is the forum we will announce those big things.

Moderator: Moderators

pedro68
Student
Student

Re: IOSH CPD

Post by pedro68 »

Hi There,
I have just joined IOSH and at present have my NGC, i am currently doing my NVQ5 and intent to begin my CPD soon, this will help get me off on the right track. Thanks for posting.

Peter.
Fletcher
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Retired

Post by Fletcher »

It is my personal opinion that if anybody wants to make a career in H&S then the sooner they start recording what they are doing with regard to their career development then the better. Whenever you require proof of your involvement in H&S you can produce you records.
Macca86
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by Macca86 »

Hi all,

I have been doing my CPD for nearly three years now. I am hoping to get my L5 NVQ finished by the end of this month and I want to get to CMIOSH by the of the year at the latest. (Fingers crossed)

Would anyone be willing to provide an example of audited CPD - I do try to provide good detail in my CPD record, but I have my suspicions that it may not be enough. I also do not record about 90% of what I do. I only really record training courses / webinars, etc. and I have not bothered with articles, books, research reports, forum discussions etc.

Thanks Mac
“Safety is not an intellectual exercise to keep us in work. It is a matter of life and death. It is the sum of our contributions to safety management that determines whether the people we work with live or die” -Sir Brian Appleton
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

Member services will happily give you feedback on your CPD, just ask them.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
Macca86
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Macca86 »

Thanks Kevlarion,

I will do that, however I am still intereted to know what others record and to what detail.

Mac
“Safety is not an intellectual exercise to keep us in work. It is a matter of life and death. It is the sum of our contributions to safety management that determines whether the people we work with live or die” -Sir Brian Appleton
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

I record all manner of stuff, such as :
The quarterly SHP articles that are stated as being a CPD article
Attending seminar sessions at Expos
Reading other books/magazine articles about new products, incidents, etc
Webinars, e.g. Barbour updates
Some IOSH Branch meeting when there's an interesting Speaker
Even if I do some research on a problem for a client into something I've not much experience of.

The key thing is to put some 'waffle' about how meaningful it was for you and what you learnt from it; don't just put that you read-it/attended-it. There has to be some mention of what value you got from whatever it was.

Essentially you can include anything that has a connection to H&S and has been of value to you.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Macca86
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Macca86 »

Thanks Berni,

I think I need to up my game.

I wonder if IOSH would develop an APP for CPD? It would certainly make things easier for me.

Mac
stephen81
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by stephen81 »

An app for IOSH CPD has been mentioned a few times on the IOSH boards, but doesn't look like anyone has bitten on this improvement yet. I think your are right, good idea
A man with a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing indeed. - My Grandad (July 2010)

If you are 5 minutes early - you're on time!
If you are on time - you're LATE! - Sgt. J Curley (March 2005).
Macca86
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Macca86 »

Hi all,

My CPD has been audited and I have had the thumps up from IOSH! So I know I am on the right track!

I initially set my Development Plan for three years, this has now ended. I now want to start a new development plan, but I can't find any information on how to do this. There is nothing in the help section.

Do I just update my current plan and change the dates?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac
Moonmonkey
Industry Sector: Welding and joining R&D

Post by Moonmonkey »

After a stroppy email from IOSH I thought it was time to update my CPD unfortunately for me it was nearly 3 years since I had last updated it :shock: . So as you can imagine not much work was done today but my CPD is now shineyand up to date
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Macca86 wrote:Hi all,

My CPD has been audited and I have had the thumps up from IOSH! So I know I am on the right track!

I initially set my Development Plan for three years, this has now ended. I now want to start a new development plan, but I can't find any information on how to do this. There is nothing in the help section.

Do I just update my current plan and change the dates?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac
Yep.

Basically, keep changing the dates.

You should find you can have a maximum of 3 entries under Section A, at least that's what mine allows. So my current one runs from 2012-15, but I'm now thinking I might overwrite the 1st one since it was from 5 years ago. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Macca86
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Macca86 »

Thanks Berni,

Yes, I originally awarded 3 point to my development plan. I changed it to 1 and now I can start another. Not sure if that is the right way, but it seems like it is the only way!

They should let users archive the period that covers previous plans, otherwise I guess after a number of years it becomes messy!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy