Xmas Trees

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

busbybelle
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @MichelleSHEQ
Industry Sector: Chemical (gases)

Xmas Trees

Post by busbybelle »

Hi guys,

Are real xmas trees themselves considered a fire hazard? Someone has asked if the tree can combust if left to dry out :?
Twitter: MichelleSHEQ
Ashanti
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ashanti »

They would be combustible unless treated with fire retardent and the electric lights are a source of ignition so I would say yes they are a fire hazard but only one that has to be noted and controlled not got rid of altogether. Unplug the lights when the building is unoccupied or people are asleep and make sure the tree is far enough away from other heat sources like radiators.
Gladiator
My Name is Maximus Decimus Meridius
My Name is Maximus Decimus Meridius

Post by Gladiator »

They will go up like a torch!
redjolley
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: Xmas Trees

Post by redjolley »

busbybelle wrote:Hi guys,

Are real xmas trees themselves considered a fire hazard? Someone has asked if the tree can combust if left to dry out :?
Sure are, very dangerous and it dose not help that they are draped in poor quality electric lights. When I get some spare time I will add some video footage to my website that shows a Christmas tree fire. To see how quickly the fire develops is quit frightening.

Redjolley
Fire Safety Services - providing cost effective solutions and services in fire protection.
http://www.firesafetyadvisor.co.uk
DannyBhoy
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by DannyBhoy »

On a slightly different tangent people should also ensure that great care is taken if watering trees to prevent needles being shed indoors, making sure that the lights are unplugged and that they do not become wet. :shock:
redjolley
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by redjolley »

Other things that you must consider with Christmas decorations and should form part of your Christmas fire risk assessment :roll: are;

Are the Christmas lights serviceable? Correct fuse and cables in good state of repair; if in doubt have them checked by an electrician or even buy new ones. Christmas lights must have portable appliance test.

Is the electrical circuit overloaded? If in doubt seek the advice of an electrician.

Is the position of the Christmas tree located away from open fires (gas or electric) and other ignition sources?

Are all Christmas decorations flame-retardant? If you are in any doubt buy new ones.

Are all decorations securely fixed? Remember that the movement of decorations by drafts from open doors or windows could be a potential hazard if they move towards an ignition source.

If candles are to be used you must ensure that they are securely fixed upright in a suitable holder and that decorations are placed well away from the naked flame. REMEMBER that candles get smaller the longer they burn. Ideally candles should be discouraged they are a high-risk fire hazard.

Can all fire equipment (fire extinguishers and alarm call points) be seen when the decorations are in place?

Can fire safety signs and notices still be seen when all decorations are in place? Fire safety signs and notices are; fire equipment signs, fire exit escape route signs and fire action notices.

Redjolley ;)
Fire Safety Services - providing cost effective solutions and services in fire protection.
http://www.firesafetyadvisor.co.uk

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy