Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

sakura999
Student
Student

When is COSHH risk assessment needed

Post by sakura999 »

Hi,

I'm struggling a little bit with COSHH. Essentially, I understand the principles behind it but struggling to exactly understand when it is needed. In my current job, one of teams uses products with MSDS. I was told that a COSHH risk assessment is needed for any product which has hazard statements, but is that correct? What's the actual rule?

Would you do a COSHH risk assessment for a white sealant?

Most of the products are fairly low risk, but not sure if a COSHH risk assessment is needed or not.

Also, some of those MSDS are a bit confusing. Sometimes, in section 2, it says that there's no hazard but then section 16 lists hazards. Would be very grateful if someone could advise. Thank you!
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: When is COSHH risk assessment needed

Post by stephen1974 »

Posting a link to the MSDS might help someone explain specific sections more clearly.

This is a bit of a grey area and has come up many many times in the past. In the end, I found it easier to do an assessment for everything. It doesnt take long and it only takes one inspector with a pole up their tushy to start giving you grief. And you do get those types.

Generally I would say, does the MSDS have instructions for what to do for first aid, if it does, it cant be complletly harmless can it.
There can also be issues with storage, fire prevention (the properties of the substance can change when combusting) and spillages to consider than may not fall under the definition of a hazard (as defined by an EU regulation that probably none of us would understand as we are not chemical experts)

Would I do an assessment for white sealant - yes. Why? well, to expand on the reasons ive given above, and taking an SDS from a random white sealant off the internet.

There were some things listed under hazards - sounds like yours doesnt, and although there were no warning symbols present, it did say that there may be adverse reactions such as drying and cracking of skin dude to repeated exposure (so a PPE issue right there).

Under First aid it had the bog standard stuff, nothing special, but if there was an incident, would your first aiders know what to do ? are they trained to go looking for a coshh sheet? if so and you have not done one, would they panic? would that waste time looking further for it?

Under fire it does have instructions for fire fighters so again, good to have that information on hand for them. It may be as bog standard as the first aid stuff is but I dont know, im not a fireman and maybe there IS something important there.
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Some good points.

You have to remember the MSDS has to be suitable for 1 liter or a million liters of any given hazardous material, hence some vagueness from suppliers.

So if I take a bottle of bleach for instance. In its bottle, in its cupboard, it is safe (ish) however if there is a fire then parts of the MSDS may come into action.

The COSHH Assessment is for how we use the substance and we utilize the info from the MSDS to populate the control measures or indeed, first aid, storage and fire measures.

If the 'bleach' is being poured into a sink or toilet then there are some splash hazards so perhaps gloves and goggles would be appropriate, however if we were putting it into a pressure washer to power wash a wall then there may be more needed in terms of PPE. The what to do if something goes wrong (fire/first aid etc) maybe similar but the assessment is for how we are using the material not for the product itself.

Hope that makes sense .scratch

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
sakura999
Student
Student

Post by sakura999 »

stephen1974 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:42 pm Posting a link to the MSDS might help someone explain specific sections more clearly.

This is a bit of a grey area and has come up many many times in the past. In the end, I found it easier to do an assessment for everything. It doesnt take long and it only takes one inspector with a pole up their tushy to start giving you grief. And you do get those types.

Generally I would say, does the MSDS have instructions for what to do for first aid, if it does, it cant be complletly harmless can it.
There can also be issues with storage, fire prevention (the properties of the substance can change when combusting) and spillages to consider than may not fall under the definition of a hazard (as defined by an EU regulation that probably none of us would understand as we are not chemical experts)

Would I do an assessment for white sealant - yes. Why? well, to expand on the reasons ive given above, and taking an SDS from a random white sealant off the internet.

There were some things listed under hazards - sounds like yours doesnt, and although there were no warning symbols present, it did say that there may be adverse reactions such as drying and cracking of skin dude to repeated exposure (so a PPE issue right there).

Under First aid it had the bog standard stuff, nothing special, but if there was an incident, would your first aiders know what to do ? are they trained to go looking for a coshh sheet? if so and you have not done one, would they panic? would that waste time looking further for it?

Under fire it does have instructions for fire fighters so again, good to have that information on hand for them. It may be as bog standard as the first aid stuff is but I dont know, im not a fireman and maybe there IS something important there.
Thank you I think I'm starting to understand. But I wish they made the regulation and requirements clearer lol!
sakura999
Student
Student

Post by sakura999 »

WillPool wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:25 am Some good points.

You have to remember the MSDS has to be suitable for 1 liter or a million liters of any given hazardous material, hence some vagueness from suppliers.

So if I take a bottle of bleach for instance. In its bottle, in its cupboard, it is safe (ish) however if there is a fire then parts of the MSDS may come into action.

The COSHH Assessment is for how we use the substance and we utilize the info from the MSDS to populate the control measures or indeed, first aid, storage and fire measures.

If the 'bleach' is being poured into a sink or toilet then there are some splash hazards so perhaps gloves and goggles would be appropriate, however if we were putting it into a pressure washer to power wash a wall then there may be more needed in terms of PPE. The what to do if something goes wrong (fire/first aid etc) maybe similar but the assessment is for how we are using the material not for the product itself.

Hope that makes sense .scratch

Will .salut
Thank you Will! I think I was looking at products in isolation but your post reminded me that risks arise from how the product is used and not just from how inherently hazardous it is.
stretch3144
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Health and Safety Consultant

Post by stretch3144 »

sakura999 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:52 am
stephen1974 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:42 pm Posting a link to the MSDS might help someone explain specific sections more clearly.

Thank you I think I'm starting to understand. But I wish they made the regulation and requirements clearer lol!
If the regulations and guidance was clearer, then it would put HSE out of a job!
stretch3144
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Health and Safety Consultant

Post by stretch3144 »

Also, if you have any flammable liquids/gases, then you also need a DSEAR risk assessment. See HSG140 for more information.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy