Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

pdhmobile
Student
Student

Introduction of power tools to a workshop

Post by pdhmobile »

Hi everyone

I have a situation at work that I would like to get some views on.....

At my work place we have a workshop for the electrical maintenance technicians, which is a basic layout, work benches, 2 vices, some cabinets holding various consumables etc and 5 pc stations.

As you can imagine with it begging for everyday technicians, there isn't a lot of work goes on in there, compared to say the mechanical department. The electricians may use a battery have drill and a hack saw now and again.

So, to my surprise, I was in there one day last week and came across a pedestal drill, chop saw (for cutting stainless steel) and a bench grinder.

So I had a little think and the first thing that sprung to mind was work equipment regulations , i.e PUWER and the fact that we had no control over these tools, no one has had any training or instruction on their use, as well as other points.

I obviously wasn't the electricians favourite person but thinking about it since, I think it needs to formally recorded in a management of change type risk assessment to document that we have recognised the increase in risk within the workshop, as it won't one be the operatives but others who may be working on the pc who could be affected.

It would be easier to say no to the tools altogether as we have all these tools in the mechanical workshop and when I mentioned this to them, they said it's a nuisance having to go all the way to the mechanical workshop, which on first take, for me, doesn't justify the increase in risk and work we will have to do to satisfy the regulations and keep people safe at work.

Long winded I know, but thoughts and maybe anything I haven't thought of/ missed off the post that is glaring to you?

Thanks in advance
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Introduction of power tools to a workshop

Post by WillPool »

My thoughts on this are as follows:

1. Are the new tools company bought? If so, then speak with your procurement department to notify you of any new tools being brought onto site so you can add them to a register so you know they are there and what maintenance and inspections they require, also what training is required/held.

2. If workers supply the tools, then they need to be added to your register as above and also ensure that your insurers are aware, there are other implications regarding user owned tools (within the forums) it is not that they are banned, the company just needs to ensure they are fit for purpose (i.e. not using domestic steps in a workplace)

3. Once you have ascertained new tools coming into the workplace, then risk assessments can be reviewed and revised where necessary and the changes communicated to all relevant stakeholders.

Others may have other points of view ./thumbsup..

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
pdhmobile
Student
Student

Re: Introduction of power tools to a workshop

Post by pdhmobile »

Thanks for the reply

Tools are company bought and have seemed to have slipped through the next as Workshop tools, i.e hand tools, screwdriver etc.

Thanks

WillPool wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:24 pm My thoughts on this are as follows:

1. Are the new tools company bought? If so, then speak with your procurement department to notify you of any new tools being brought onto site so you can add them to a register so you know they are there and what maintenance and inspections they require, also what training is required/held.

2. If workers supply the tools, then they need to be added to your register as above and also ensure that your insurers are aware, there are other implications regarding user owned tools (within the forums) it is not that they are banned, the company just needs to ensure they are fit for purpose (i.e. not using domestic steps in a workplace)

3. Once you have ascertained new tools coming into the workplace, then risk assessments can be reviewed and revised where necessary and the changes communicated to all relevant stakeholders.

Others may have other points of view ./thumbsup..

Will .salut

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy