Work at height over work surface

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

cmabey

Work at height over work surface

Post by cmabey »

Hi all,
This is my first time posting! I am working in a school, and have an issue with accessing notice boards that are positioned over work surfaces or sinks, meaning a ladder/steps cannot be positioned against the wall, therefore the person needs to lean across to reach.

I cannot seem to find a suitable ladder/step type that would suit this purpose. Both allowing the user to get close enough to the board/wall, as well as maintaining 3 points of contact on the ladder, and not leaning over.

If you also have this issue, how have you managed it? Or do you know of any equipment that would suit this task?

Also just to add, I have come across such a thing as a "Deskglider" but this is not suitable for the majority of the areas we have this issue as the worksurfaces generally have cupboards under, meaning no room to slide the legs of the "Deskglider" under. But this is the closest thing I have found.
Thanks in advance!
Cayley
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Work at height over work surface

Post by WillPool »

Cayley

Welcome to the forums :wave:

There is a multitude of 'work at height' aids that you would be able to use.

'Glidelifts' work depending on access. Without seeing the room it is to be used in it is hard to give a specific response. There are also some podium steps that may be suitable as they have 'toprails' all the way around which, as long as the user works within the confine of the 'cage, there is no need for 3-points of contact.

A Google search of work at height solutions may help you, as you should be able to visualize the solution and your workplace.

Other members may drop in with other practical advice ./thumbsup..

hsfbwelcome

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Have you looked at a step platform ? It will have increased stability over a ladder/step ladder and will have a hand rail for support.

Geez, I just looked at the prices, so maybe not. Im sure I once saw a 3 step platform with hand rail for under £50 but now, ouch.
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

Would moving the noticeboard to a more practical location not be an option?
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
cmabey

Post by cmabey »

Thanks all. Over the Easter holidays, I am going to inventory all of the noticeboards in the school that have this problem so I can see if the suggestions you have made would work.

The last resort is removing the noticeboards, but the walls everywhere are full of stuff, I don't think we have the room to relocate them all. Removing them is not going to go down well with teachers!!
BlatantTruth

Post by BlatantTruth »

For those pesky notice boards over work surfaces, a foldable step stool or a slim platform ladder might do the trick. Have you given those a shot?
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

How about you find a secondary school class of woodwork pupils and their Tutor to make light framed boards to fit along the back wall of lets say 3 cupboards (example 3 separate panels).

By fitting wooden runners (channel made within the wood) attached to the wall to fit the top and bottom lengths of framed boards, those framed boards could then be slipped into the runners for easy access without stretching over anything. Individual boards could be attached by simple hook/unhook chain rope. Access would be from either side, with a simple fastening either end of the runners to stop them slipping off the runners. Cost would be nil.

By attaching the runners to the walls and not the top of the desks, should the desks have to be moved, they can be without disturbing the runners or boards. ;)
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy