IOSH Graduate name change to Certified (CertIOSH)

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: IOSH Graduate name change to Certified (CertIOSH)

Post by WillPool »

ohreally wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:58 pm IOSH now informing they don't recognise quals over 5yo, seriously, what the hell is going on?
Wow :shock:

Thats a new one on me :roll:

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
ohreally
Student
Student

Post by ohreally »

Direct quote from email...

"IOSH has a rule that it cannot accept qualifications over five years in age"
The devil
Student
Student

Post by The devil »

Brett Day SP wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:23 am

Also short of CMIOSH, it is of no use for CSCS cards, which is a must in the part the of construcion industry I work in, only being a Tech, it doesn't qualify me for any of the CSCS cards available to me since the old Health & Safety Officer (Industry Accreditation) card is being dropped.

I will take a few mins to explain why this change to the CSCS card system is happening.

The industry is sick of people who never worked on a construction site before becoming health and safety managers after a few days in the classroom. Its the same for site managers too. Too many people have just walked into construction with no experience and its been stopped.

In the industry most of us have know about this change for the past 3/4 years. Its the reason why so many site managers have been taking there NVQ in construction management recently.

The Health and Safety Management for Construction will get you a white card.( Academically qualified person).

This course is design for experience site managers not new entrants. You shouldn't be allow to take this course unless you hold a level 3 trade qualification and smsts. its the reason so many people fail this exam. Too much of this course will be new to you and you wont understand most of it in a few days.

Certain construction related degrees will get you a white card too.

If you did L3 NVQ Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety and passed the CSCS managers test and did a SSSTS/ SMSTS, you'd get a gold card.

So you have a nebosh certificate how can you get a CSCS card?

Just do the green card. Its only a one day training course ( The Level 1 (Scotland Level 4) Award in Health and Safety in a Construction Environment).

Unless your willing to spend a few thousand pounds on completing a NVQ in construction management, its the only card you will get after such a short training period.

I did moan a while ago about the new heath and safety officer being on my site for week while I pored concrete. My company paid for him to do NVQ Level 3 Diploma in occupational work supervision just to get his gold card. The only thing he learn from me was how to drink tea, but he did take some nice pictures and did all my paper work.
stretch3144
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Health and Safety Consultant

Post by stretch3144 »

Thanks for your views. When my membership is up this year I think I'll jump ship to IIRSM.
Brett Day SP
Industry Sector: Construction / Safety Training
Occupation: Senior HSW Advisor with some safety training on the side.

Post by Brett Day SP »

I've only been doing safety for 25 years now mostly in construction with the odd break in the quarry industry and training and was a TechSP many moons ago. I gained, again many moons ago the Health & Safety Officer (Industry Accreditation) card (something that at the time required me to hold both the General Cert and Construction Cert....).

I hold SMSTS and have done so for many years and have been running SMSTS courses for many years, however with my quals and IOSH membership it does not count towards a CSCS card. However, my quals and MIIRSM membership DOES qualify me for a white Professionally Qualified Person card. If it were not for my employer wanting me to hold IOSH membership, guess what membership I would be dropping???
Chaos, panic and disorder, my work here is done !

Power corrupts, absolute power is actually pretty neat.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy