NVQ Level 6 - struggling

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

kowal.ju

NVQ Level 6 - struggling

Post by kowal.ju »

Hi all,

I’ve just been enrolled onto the NVQ Level 6 course and I’m already struggling. There are a few unit sub sections that I should be okay with however a lot of them are outside of my control. So for example, creating and implementing a health and safety policy - I work for a large company and all policies and procedures are developed by the head office and I have no involvement whatsoever, they have all been recently reviewed and updated. Our risk assessments, investigations and inspections are carried out on a third party system which I cannot change.

In addition, I work alongside a colleague who is also doing his NVQ Level 6 - how can I do work to evidence my units if they have already been done by my colleague - I can’t just use his work? And if he’s already done something then I won’t be able to do it myself?

I’m just struggling with the fact that I cannot do this at a fast pace like I’d like to do as it’s all determined by my workplace which I feel will slow me down because I’ll be lucky if I get an hour during work to do my NVQ.
The devil
Student
Student

Re: NVQ Level 6 - struggling

Post by The devil »

Hi Rowal,

Your not the only one in this position. You need to talk to your tutor.

In my experience 1/2 the work inside a NVQ portfolio is just examples of work. You can't put confidential company information inside one.

Just imagine if you were working for a new car maker and loaded pictures of there new models with all the specs into your NVQ portfolio. I think you'd be sacked.

The question the NVQ assessor needs to ask is:

Do you know how to do it?

For example:

"Creating and implementing a health and safety policy"

You can come up with an outline, then apply it to your work place.

"Risk assessments, investigations and inspections"

Here you can pick a common work space like a staffroom.

Again go back to your tutor and talk to him/her. No one expects you to make company h&s policy's while in training.
wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas / Renewables / Consultancy

Re: NVQ Level 6 - struggling

Post by wendolene26 »

Hi Rowal,

Welcome to the forum. If you don't mind me asking, which provider have you enrolled with for your NVQ Level 6?

As the previous reply has mentioned, I would go back to your tutor and ask for some guidance on the types of evidence they are looking for to support your progress through the diploma.

Are you a member of IOSH? I know a number of people who are IOSH members and have found making use of the IOSH mentoring programme a useful tool in supporting their progress with the Level 6 NVQ. A mentor who has already been through the NVQ Level 6 can provide guidance on the types of examples of work best suitable to use as evidence for the diploma.

I think most students enrolling on the NVQ L6 find the first unit they complete the hardest for a number of reasons, but with some guidance from the tutor and/or a mentor, then go onto settle into the other units and make good progress, so please don't be disheartened.
You are only a millimetre or a millisecond away from the next incident.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy