New In Post - FRA

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

BGoldey

New In Post - FRA

Post by BGoldey »

Hi there,

I am new in post as Facilities Manager for a company based in South Yorkshire. They currently have had a FRA completed Nov '23 and it was identified that the foam within the risers was not compliant.

Now I have had a couple of firms out to survey and quote accordingly against these findings, the first has ceased communication already and the second has responded with a quote of £13000.

Background on the building is 4 story high, large office building with risers running to the plant room on the 4th floor. I know it's a long shot but is that figure something I will be looking at as being similar?

Fire, emergency stuff at this level is all very new to me as my previous background is within soft facilities such as waste disposal and domestic services.

Many Thanks
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: New In Post - FRA

Post by WillPool »

HI BGoldey :wave:

Welcome to the forims, hopefully one of our fire experts will be along to give you an answer soon ./thumbsup..

hsfbwelcome

Will .saut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Apologies Goldy, but its difficult to give even a guesstimate price for this work without much more info

Did your fire safety consultant give you a standard to which the fire barrier should meet, even a time? (30 mins/60 mins)?

My advice is to seek some additional quotes and compare them. Don't forget to ask what materials they will use so you can compare quotes accurately

One firm could be quoting for fixing a fire retardant barrier over your existing one and the next could be quoting for removing the old stuff and using more expensive materials

Good luck 👍
BGoldey

Post by BGoldey »

Hi,

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it is difficult based on the sparse information.

Basically - the task quoted is to remove all non-compliant foam from around the door frames and internal pipework within the risers (x5 sets of double doors and approximately x6 entry points for the pipework) and replace with compliant materials.

SPECIFICATION – Rectify Firestopping on fire report.
• Removal of foam from all penetrations that require firestopping in riser cupboards.
• Install new firestopping to tested details.
We quote the Nett sum of:
Removal of foam & Firestopping: £12,800.00
Bolster system electronic logging - £400 (allows 2 drawings)
Total project cost - £13,200.00

I have had 2 more companies attend who having attended site nearly 3 weeks ago have not replied to any contact so I'm guessing that's a bad sign :roll:

Thanks

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy