Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Upgrading Nebosh Certificate to NEBOSH construction Cert

Post by TWDB »

Hi Guys, I want my advisor to upgrade her Nebosh cert to Nebosh Construction cert - can you do this? and is it only a week to add on?

or do you need to undertake more than that?

Anyone Know?

thanks
T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: Upgrading Nebosh Certificate to NEBOSH construction Cert

Post by Blackstone »

From memory, if you do another certificates course within 2 (maybe 3) years of qualification you don't have to re sit the first module/part.

I'm talking a few years ago so this might have changed

Regards
BS
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Post by TWDB »

Blackstone wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:11 pm From memory, if you do another certificates course within 2 (maybe 3) years of qualification you don't have to re sit the first module/part.

I'm talking a few years ago so this might have changed

Regards
BS
Thanks Blackstone
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
The devil
Student
Student

Post by The devil »

Nebosh construction cert isn't really worth upgrading.

In construction CSCS cards matter. Its going to be hard to get a card with only a Nebosh construction cert after the rule changes last year.

Before you take the training, look on the CSCS web site and made sure they will issue one for this cert.

https://www.cscs.uk.com/applying-for-cards/
Safetysmurf
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction and Manufacturing

Post by Safetysmurf »

Really Devil?

The upgrade was from a general cert to a construction cert.
While some topics are covered on the general cert, the construction cert will cover most topics within construction.
Construction cert is worth doing!
If I were them I'd go for the Nebosh Diploma as that's a level 6 and the cert is level 3, but if daunted by the lev 6 then fill your boots with the cert to gain a better understanding.
The dip covers just about every topic and gives a good overall understanding of H&S.
I believe the CSCS card would still be the white AQP card for the cert level as it would be for the dip.
You would still need to pass a touchscreen test for the CSCS card at Manager level. (a little harder than the ops test, but should get through)

Regards

SS
Tonymason1961

Post by Tonymason1961 »

The devil wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:02 am Nebosh construction cert isn't really worth upgrading.

In construction CSCS cards matter. Its going to be hard to get a card with only a Nebosh construction cert after the rule changes last year.

Before you take the training, look on the CSCS web site and made sure they will issue one for this cert.

https://www.cscs.uk.com/applying-for-cards/
CSCS Cards have annoyed me since their inception many years ago, simply a money making scheme, nothing else, they certainly don't prove the holder has anything more than a very basic understanding of Health & Safety, Yes most companies will request Employees must hold one usually to prove they are competent in their respective trade but the Safety aspect is basic at best, likewise with Companies or Sites that request Staff have completed the IOSH Managing safely, if anyone has taken the IOSH Managing Safely course in the last 10 years or more they will know where I'm coming from, its probably the worst and most comical course I've ever had to attend, the shame is that when it first came out it was a good course, now it seems its addressed at School children.
The devil
Student
Student

Post by The devil »

Hi Tony, love the reply but you missed out two key points:

Proof of identity
Proof of training

The growth of fake training and cscs cards in the last 10 years is alarming.

I've seen everything from fake plant cards to smsts certs. All have been picked up using cscs card checker website.

Its not about H&S more proof of training and identity. When you have 10 people starting on a Monday morning and have to induct all of them, cscs cards speed up the process.

If you think its just employment agencies faking cards think again. Last year a we known civil company working on rail contracts send down a man with SSSTS cert. It didn't show up on cscs system and the cert was pass on to cscs for investigation. Turns out they didn't have anyone with his cert free so just faked one in the office and sent him down.
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

The devil wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:22 pm Hi Tony, love the reply but you missed out two key points:

Proof of identity
Proof of training

The growth of fake training and cscs cards in the last 10 years is alarming.

I've seen everything from fake plant cards to smsts certs. All have been picked up using cscs card checker website.

Its not about H&S more proof of training and identity. When you have 10 people starting on a Monday morning and have to induct all of them, cscs cards speed up the process.

If you think its just employment agencies faking cards think again. Last year a we known civil company working on rail contracts send down a man with SSSTS cert. It didn't show up on cscs system and the cert was pass on to cscs for investigation. Turns out they didn't have anyone with his cert free so just faked one in the office and sent him down.
Hi The Devil

I am with you and Tony on this, even as someone holding a Master in Health & Safety Leadership, to gain the card, I have to do the touch screen test :shock:

For me, if people/companies are willing to 'fake cards/certs' to get people working, it shows the disregard and frustration with the current system.

If the courses and cards/certs were relevant to the industry then people would have no issue in obtaining them, but when they see it is a waste of time/effort and resource (which in my opinion it is, in the current form) then it will be hard to change things.

It doesn't help that CSCS are self-governed by the MCG. :shock:

Glad I don't currently need another card as working abroad, but I am sure I will have to jump through the hoops if I come back to UK to work :evil:

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
The devil
Student
Student

Post by The devil »

Hi Will

You wont have to jump thru hoops, its a simpler process now.

But.........

Its been argued by my current and soon to be place in a hole and covered in part1 H&S officer that he don't need one. Since he's not working on site and only a "site visitor "

In the past a yellow cscs card would have done but these card now been withdrawn. The person in question is sending endless emails questioning this to cscs and head office :roll:

https://www.cscs.uk.com/news/visitornews/

For anyone holding a Nebosh Certificate In Construction Safety And Health (NEBOSH) is now the Academically Qualified Person white card.

You need to pass the horrid CITB Managers and Professionals Health, safety and environment test :twisted:

Its about £70 for both 8)

I have a real issue with Academically Qualified Persons cards. The only tell me you past a test or exam, not that you've work on a site before. Its why I prefer the NVQ certs and gold cards.

The days of people with only a NEBOSH cert running construction site are over, even at operations level.
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator

Post by WillPool »

The devil wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:10 am Hi Will

You wont have to jump thru hoops, its a simpler process now.

But.........

Its been argued by my current and soon to be place in a hole and covered in part1 H&S officer that he don't need one. Since he's not working on site and only a "site visitor "

In the past a yellow cscs card would have done but these card now been withdrawn. The person in question is sending endless emails questioning this to cscs and head office :roll:

https://www.cscs.uk.com/news/visitornews/

For anyone holding a Nebosh Certificate In Construction Safety And Health (NEBOSH) is now the Academically Qualified Person white card.

You need to pass the horrid CITB Managers and Professionals Health, safety and environment test :twisted:

Its about £70 for both 8)

I have a real issue with Academically Qualified Persons cards. The only tell me you past a test or exam, not that you've work on a site before. Its why I prefer the NVQ certs and gold cards.

The days of people with only a NEBOSH cert running construction site are over, even at operations level.
Hi The Devil

Thanks for the feedback, yes for me it is more about the touch screen safety test, that's the hoop I have to jump through :lol:

Hopefully, I can do another 3 years in Saudi and come home to semi-retirement and not need a card, knowing the industry the requirements will have changed about 4 times by then, if I do need one :roll:

As for your H&S Officer, if he doesn't understand why he needs one................................. :shock: I feel your pain, the culture in the Middle East is different, safety officers out here have never been on the tools and some see it as a power trip on-site, and don't understand what the work process is but still happy to find something wrong.

In my company, I am trying to change the culture and have construction and safety working together because there is no safety without production, and vice versa. There is a fine line in getting it wrong :?

When recruiting, I am now on the interviews and there is now a section on construction experience and what they do/don't know about the different aspects they could potentially be working on (concrete pouring, piling, blasting, cut & fill etc etc) and also what potentially could go wrong and the control measures they would expect to see. Now we have guys with better experience I can start to see betterment and a shift in the culture within the company .cheers

Will .salut
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
The devil
Student
Student

Post by The devil »

Will if you are looking to work odd days here in the UK again, I did see this:

Health and Safety Advisor - civil engineering/highways sector - £300-£400 per day - varied schemes across the South-West - Gloucestershire down to Cornwall.

Qualifications/Experience;
NEBOSH Construction/general cert (minimum)
NEBOSH Diploma/NVQ L6 in OHAS (desired)
Relevant experience of working as part of a SHE team
Providing proactive support to operational business units
Up to date knowledge of UK legislation in relation to higways/civil engineering projects

I think rates will be higher once you get home.

So it mite be worth getting that card after all .pirate
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator

Post by WillPool »

The devil wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:07 am Will if you are looking to work odd days here in the UK again, I did see this:

Health and Safety Advisor - civil engineering/highways sector - £300-£400 per day - varied schemes across the South-West - Gloucestershire down to Cornwall.

Qualifications/Experience;
NEBOSH Construction/general cert (minimum)
NEBOSH Diploma/NVQ L6 in OHAS (desired)
Relevant experience of working as part of a SHE team
Providing proactive support to operational business units
Up to date knowledge of UK legislation in relation to higways/civil engineering projects

I think rates will be higher once you get home.

So it mite be worth getting that card after all .pirate
Will see, I am currently enjoying tax-free status :)

There is so much work out here, but I have promised the family be home when I am 60, while I still have time to enjoy life :)

Will .salut
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy