Man cages (fork lift safety cage)

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

shi-g

Man cages (fork lift safety cage)

Post by shi-g »

Good morning all

So just had my first HSE audit and overall its gone well. However the one thing that seems to crop us is the disdain for the man cage we have here. I have noticed it has been brought up in other audits as well. Its rarely used but when it is we find it extremely useful. Always with the person in the cage wearing an inspected harness. The inspector on this occasion told us either to get rid of it or get it loler`ed every 6mths. Or train somebody in the use of a cherry picker and hire one each time we need to work at heights. So we took the decision to get it inspected. And I am considering carrying out a risk assessment on it. But what is the guidance concerning these cages. Also what is the concern. Is it that there are a lot of variables. Because it also requires two people and a forklift.

Very interested to get some thoughts, feedback, guidance.
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Re: Man cages (fork lift safety cage)

Post by grim72 »

I'd suggest you read through the PM28 Guidance notes from the HSE - see https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/pm28.htm where you can download a copy for free. It should give you everything you need to decide whether it is suitable for you to continue using or not. For occasional use and in certain situations they may be the best option but they are generally discouraged (a bit like ladders to be fair).

Hope that helps. I'll also send you a PM with details on a checklist system we offer for these to help ensure it is safe to use and allows you to complete/record pre-use checks on the occasions you do need to use it.
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: Man cages (fork lift safety cage)

Post by Blackstone »

Man cages should be LOLER inspected every 6 months if carrying people and there definitely should be a risk assessment for using it.
Agree with Grim's comments above on pre-use inspection too.

I had a least one at each company i've worked at. I've seen them used really well :) and very badly! :evil:
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy