Which course is best for construction managers?

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

The devil
Student
Student

Which course is best for construction managers?

Post by The devil »

With all the new changes to CITB rules, I'm looking to improve my H&S competence.

I'm working as a site manager on a construction site. Have my NVQ 6 in construction, smsts, first aid and a lot more. Been in the industry for over 30 years.

My question is this: What level do I need to be at?

I've looked at:

NEBOSH Health and Safety Management for Construction
NVQ Level 3 Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety Practice

I'm not sure which one to pick or if there the right ones.

I've never liked NEBOSH. Its classroom base and puts people on to site with little or no experience, much like the smsts course.
The NVQ 3 means I can do this at work. The main issue is the NVQ only a level 3 and NEBOSH is a level 7.

I would talk to my own companies h&s officer, but he's a bit green. Only last week I got an email from him asking why people were walking from the welfare unit to there cars without there boots and helmet's on ......cos it was the end of the day and the changing rooms are in the welfare unit !!
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Which course is best for construction managers?

Post by WillPool »

Firstly, welcome to the forums :wave:

A lot will depend on what you want the course for.

If you are looking at enhancing your knowledge then perhaps the IOSH Managing Safely course.

If you are looking at moving into H&S then NEBOSH is another route, so is NVQ.

The NEBOSH Construction course is level 3, basic NVQ is level 3. NEBOSH Diploma and some NVQ's are level 6 (on the English Qualifications framework, which is different in Scotland), the content is consistent with the levels.

If you need further assistance on courses or levels, please reach out ./thumbsup..

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
The devil
Student
Student

Post by The devil »

Thanks for the reply.....

The IOSH Managing Safely course is a level down from the Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS).

The NEBOSH level 3 course is 9 days training much the same as NEBOSH Health and Safety Management for Construction. ( Level 7).
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

The NEBOSH Health and Safety Management Certificate and the NEBOSH Health and Safety Management Certificate for Construction (UK) is level 4 on the National Qualification Framework (NQF) and level 7 on the Scottish Credit Qualification Framework (SCQF).

Both of these are the 'next step up' from IOSH Managing Safely, ,if that is what you are after.

As stated previously after these unless you are doing specific auditing courses or the like the next H&S qualification would be an NVQ or NEBOSH Diploma at Level 6 (Level 10 in Scotland).

Masters at Level 7 (Level 11 in Scotland), and Doctorate at Level 8 (Level 12 in Scotland)

NVQ is some theory with evidence that you need to provide to satisfy the learning criteria.

Horses for courses, some prefer NEBOSH, some dont, depends on your experience and learning style.

Hope that clarifies and helps

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
The devil
Student
Student

Post by The devil »

The main issue I have with H&S officers right now is there back grounds. They aren't coming from the construction industry. My current one moved over from the Universal Credit local office. He worked there for 5 years in role. He's letting too much slip and its making it hard for me to approach project mangers for improvements.

I had to cover for another site manger last year and I thought the site needed to be closed down. Keys left in plant, spoil left too close to the gate blowing into the main road and a 20 meter gap in the fence leading to a waste company.

Our H&S officer inspected the site the day before and pass it. There was nothing I could do.

I need something that will enough credibility to at least challenge people when they do get it wrong.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi Devil. I think Willpool's in-depth response is spot on to satisfy this particular question.

This is a discussion that could grow arms and legs in all sorts of levels with H&S frustrations.

However, to avoid going round in circles and diverting from the initial informative and appreciated post/reply, I suggest we leave further discussion on this one as is. ;)

Many thanks for your post Devil. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

NEBOSH you can probably do an online course with an open book exam. The old tests are, not being done away with, but you have an alternative thanks to NCRQ (rip). You get an exam paper and have 24 hours to complete it and you can use any source you like to get the answer. You could in theory, phone a friend.
The devil
Student
Student

Post by The devil »

I have started on the nvq 3 occupational health and safety.

I'm a really good site manager with a pot belly and flat feet to prove it. I like the job too.

The dilemma I faced was taking this to a higher level and being asked to cover for company H&S officers on leave or training. It's not a job I want to do. And the idea of being stuck in a classroom for a week or two put me right off.

The point of this training is only to add a bit of foundation to the many short courses we are all forced to do.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy