Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

New member of staff in my SHEQ team - newstarter plan for first week? 2 weeks

Post by TWDB »

Hi Guys,

amazingly i'm getting some help to form a team - and they start shortly - and i want to bring them in to the team the best way i can.

any tips or example new starter in a SHEQ team plans you guys have used?

Thanks
T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: New member of staff in my SHEQ team - newstarter plan for first week? 2 weeks

Post by Alexis »

Bump
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Chief White Halfoat
Student
Student

Re: New member of staff in my SHEQ team - newstarter plan for first week? 2 weeks

Post by Chief White Halfoat »

First two weeks id have them meeting people to start building relationships with the key stakeholders they will be working with.

Without sounding too dramatic, I made that mistake in my current role and I feel like I have been on the back foot since
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

For me I would think about the following:

Ensuring any equipment they need (PPE, latop, phone etc) is all ready to issue on first day (Makes you and your company seem organized)

Set out a program they can follow of what you are trying to achieve, make the program balanced, dont have them sitting in front of a laptop for 3 days reading your management system, mix it up with meeting people, site visits etc

Dont overfill there head with too much information, they wont absorb it all, many a time I have started a new role, the firs couple of days I have had headaches and been mentally drained trying to keep up with the flow of the information

Allow time for them to reflect and ask questions, also time to go back over things they may not have understood the first time.

Dont be overbearing, if they are meeting new people, introduce them and back off, allow them to make their own 'workplace relationships'. Dont give them your opinions on people, as someone you may not get on with they might build up a good relationship and be bale to enhance safety in an otherwise poor relationship.

Be yourself, be honest, and try to show them the positive sides of the job (as much as you can)

Hope that helps ./thumbsup..

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
MrsPeacockinthestudy
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Public Sector

Post by MrsPeacockinthestudy »

Thinking back to when I started my current role almost two years ago, I agree that getting them on the ground to start building relationships with staff is the way to go. Maybe have them shadowing team leaders or equivalent. I wouldn't necessarily go with them as you want them to build those relationships themselves, but obviously be available (physically, not working from home!). Try not to overload with too much information or business plans at this stage and give plenty of time to absorb what they're seeing and hearing.

And definitely have equipment ready for them - it was 8 months before I got a company laptop in my current role!
CatherineT2023

Post by CatherineT2023 »

I would definitely advocate for having them meet with key stakeholders early on! I felt this was pivotal when I stated my role and helped with both confidence and awareness across the board!

I also agree with having all equipment ready! In my experience there’s nothing as bad nor makes you feel as undervalued as not having all the required resources available!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy