Risk Assessment layouts and content

Discuss management systems in here, including - HS(G)65; ISO 45001; ISO 45003; ISO 14001

Moderator: Moderators

Harmoni

Risk Assessment layouts and content

Post by Harmoni »

Hi all

I am having a bit of trouble trying to create my own layout for a new risk assessment, that satisfactorily and efficiently captures and presents the data required, and without repeating itself. I am probably over-complicating things but here's what's going on.

My background is in tree surgery, so there are a number of high-risk hazards such as working at height, use of chainsaws, tree felling etc. I set out my preliminary RA using subheadings from the NEBOSH exam; so Noise, Vibration; Radiation; Mental ill-Health; Violence at Work; etc... but this seemed to get a bit complicated. So then I used a Site-Task-Machine-Substances layout, which is where I am now. Thing is though, is that some things can crop up more than once: for instance under 'machine' I have risk assessed chainsaws. Then under 'task' I have risk assessed tree felling, which of course, uses chainsaws, so I end up repeating myself.

So, do I add what is relevant, whether I am repeating myself or not; or do I only add things once, e.g. 'use of chainsaws' under the 'Machine' heading and not include it elsewhere (chainsaws can be used for other tasks, other than tree felling, you see)?

As I said, I am perfectly aware that I may be over-complicating things. I just want to try and create a RA that captures everything neatly, efficiently and correctly. I would love to hear your helpful tips and advice.

Cheers.
James
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Risk Assessment layouts and content

Post by Alexis »

Bump
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Harmoni wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:07 pmThing is though, is that some things can crop up more than once: for instance under 'machine' I have risk assessed chainsaws. Then under 'task' I have risk assessed tree felling, which of course, uses chainsaws, so I end up repeating myself.
I would allow the subject matter to come up more than once, but only in the sense of the section it is in.

So our first instance of chainsaws is about ensuring that the saw itself is being maintained, isn't damaged and possibly that it will only be used by trained personnel.

When you come to them the second time, you don't mention any of the earlier hazards, instead concentrating on whether the tool is fit for purpose - users performing a visual check, being able to position themselves to hold it correctly, preventing other people from getting too close, using the right size saw on right type of wood (maybe? I don't know anything about chainsaws, so I'm guessing wildly that hardwood / softwood / deadwood might require different machines?! :D ).
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

If you put in a section saying 'use of chainsaws', then I dont see the need to repeat yourself if, in the description of the hazard, you say that you will be using a chainsaw. A bit like first aid provision. You dont need to state first aid provision for every hazard if you've already stated what your first aid provision is and make it clear that its for all injuries that make occur as a result of activities within this risk assessment.

If you ahve a seperate risk assessment for a pice of equipment, simply include it in a list of additional documents and maybe in a risk assessment use highlighted key words with a statement at the start of the risk assessment saying keywords appear in bold and refer to additional documentation. Create links if its an electronic document. This can also be used to highlight/link to safe systems of work, COSHH etc... anything thats relevent but you dont want to have to reproduce again and again.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy