Portable Heaters

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

clio222
Student
Student

Portable Heaters

Post by clio222 »

With the winter coming a lot if premises/offices are introducing portable heaters. Appreciate there should be strict guidance on using these however I have had conflicting information around what is the “safest”. Portable convection heater or portable oil filled heater. I was always told the oil filled is the most safest. Would be good to get a consensus of opinion and also the rationale ( Hope I have been giving out the right advice :shock: Thanks
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Portable Heaters

Post by Messy »

IMHO, it definitely oil filled that are 'safer' than convector - but the former are unpopular as they seem slow to operate. But as you imply in your post, its a bit more complicated than just considering the heating appliance used

As always there's the human element that is the most risky part. Connecting heaters via adaptors, using timers on unsecured convectors or fan heaters and of course placing combustible items too close are far more of a risk than the infrastructure itself.

But on a simple choice of convector v oil filled, the latter represents the lower risk

I would be interested to hear the views of others
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Portable Heaters

Post by witsd »

My understanding is that oil-filled radiators are much safer, unless damaged (as I think the oil vapour is flammable? May be way out of date here though).
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy