Marquees (Temprary Structures) Fire Seperation

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Marquees (Temprary Structures) Fire Seperation

Post by Penfold »

Hi all

We have an issue with an Events company who run large scale events for us on site and safety advisor we bring in to manage the events. They want to set up a 5 fairly large marquees with a separation of 2m between them.

The Purple Guide recommends:
ensure there is an adequate distance between temporary structures, traders and refreshment stands etc. Use fire breaks between groups of stands to reduce the spread of fire, allow people to escape and provide access for emergency vehicles. A separation distance of 6 metres with a fire break every 24 metres is recommended, but this is determined by the risk of the fire and consequential spread
Now the marquees are fairly low risk and are used for talks and break out groups but there are plans for catering to be located close to them. Our Event H&S Consultant has said he recommends sticking to the 6m rule from the Purple Guide (also found in guidance from the National Fire Chief Council- "Is there a minimum of 6m separation between structures?") but the Events company are insistent for the flow of the event they want the marquees to stay as planned.

Anyone come across this type of thing before and can advise on a middle ground we can find?

Thanks

Penfold
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Marquees (Temprary Structures) Fire Seperation

Post by witsd »

Appreciate that it's difficult to do so in advance, but have you completed a tentative fire risk assessment?

I did the FRA for a large golf tournament and I was happy to state that there was no issue with having the marquee directly attached to the building as there were plenty of signed exits and no significant additional ignition sources.

In this case it would really depend on what the catering involves and how close is close.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Post by Penfold »

Thanks witsd

The event isn't until next July but as its such a major event they are planning it now. Ill complete a FRA and see if I can get the 2 sides to sit down and discuss!

I get the safety consultants point that the main outdoor events guide states 6m but on the other its low risk 9apart from the catering element)

Thanks again

Penfold
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

If you desperately need someone to adjudicate, you could also contact your local fire station and see if they will discuss the FRA (once written) vs the guidance. They will almost certainly just tell you to do whichever is the more conservative choice though.

Also, have you gone back to the events company and asked them to comment on how their plan meshes with the guidance? Surely they must be aware of it existing?!
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

witsd wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:19 pm have you completed a tentative fire risk assessment?
That made me chuckle

I wouldn't get too caught up in what the guides say as they are so generic, but of course, you should take heed of them. Instead, consider what risk is presented

Ignition sources are key, so controlling the temporary wiring and lighting (especially stage lighting - insist on LED for example), vehicle parking and lithium battery management, and an above all catering are perhaps the biggestest risks

An event with sandwiches and sushi will present less of a risk so you could reduce the 6m gap, but the preparation of deep fried Indian snacks or cod n chips may require an extension of the separation

The devil is in the detail, but do not be swayed by either party. Just use your professional judgement
Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Post by Penfold »

Thanks Messy much appreciated

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy