Reducing Accidents story

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Reducing Accidents story

Post by stephen1974 »

Attended a quarterly H&S meeting yesterday and this interesting bit of information came up.

About a year and half/two years ago (before I joined the company) they introduced a Point of Work Risk Assessment app which everyone has on their work phones/tablets as part of their default build.

These are supposed to be completed for every job you do every day. Now,we know not everyone does, and not everyone does them correctly, but enough people do it properly that since it was introduced it has reduced RIDDOR reportable accidents across the company by TWO THIRDS.

I didnt get numbers because we were running over and they flew through things. They are supposed t upload to a sharepoint but have not done so yet, but we work in a dangerous environment so we do get a good number of accidents, so to see the serious accidents being reduced by two thirds is huge. Now, it might not be purely down to doing PoWRA but we do know of a number of jobs that dont go ahead becuase people are identiying risks through PoWRA.
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Re: Reducing Accidents story

Post by Keith1983 »

That's a great result. Has the data gathered from these highlighted a commo0n job or type of job being undertaken? Are the jopbs being undertaken already subjected to a Risk Assessment or are they non-routine?
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Reducing Accidents story

Post by stephen1974 »

The work that gets done across the company is hugely varied so we've not found a specific task that causes problems. After the standard slips trips and falls issues I guess the next biggest thing to stand out would be manual handling issues as engineers are moving heavy parts around. Job processes are generically risk assesed but individual jobs are risk assesed on a Point of work basis as every site and situation is different.

If there is an issue that requires attention, ie something new/unexpected occured or a process wasnt fallowed the company is very good at getting the message out to all relevant people via web based alerts and these are reviewed at team meetings. A database is kept of all alerts so employees can read back over years worth of incidents.

Its nice to finally work for a company that takes this stuff seriously.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy