Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

temporary works

Post by TWDB »

anyone able to provide advice on Temporary works ?

thanks T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: temporary works

Post by stephen1974 »

Depends on the type of work i guess and whose doing it.

If its a contractor, make sure they have RAMS, Insurance, etc... and issue a work permit for a specified amount of time, and re-issue as necessary if the work takes longer. Its a good way to keep them on their toes and to make changes to assessments and work systems if something unexpected or unplanned for comes up. Do this even if its your own guys doing the work as well. Some places I know issue permits daily for dangerous works so who ever is managing the site can brief the person issuing the permit each day or the permit issuer can request changes etc...
Woodie
Master Craftsman
Master Craftsman
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Construction/Major Power

Post by Woodie »

viewtopic.php?t=52394

I am also a temporary works co-ordinator, so ask away.
Truth never damages a cause that is just. GANDHI (1869-1948)

http://nott-us.co.uk/
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

Hi all, just bringing this one back. I have recently become a Temporary Works Coordinator as part of a new job. I have been on a training course for the role but the quality of the training was poor. I am waiting on my copy of the BS5975 document to come through.

I'm looking to drive the business I work for towards best practice and with 'Temporary Works' not actually being a legal requirement at the moment this can be a challenge to get people on board.

Our activities typically include a welfare trailer or van, a waste skip or three, a temporary laydown area, a storage trailer, edge protection for trenches and possibly working at height equipment. (I'd like to include the waste areas, storage trailers etc int he temporary works to make sure the locations, size, type etc gets considered thoroughly and planned)

I'm speaking with our designer to try and get a clear line of communication in regards to Temporary Works Designs and I'm of the opinion that we should get the design done, communicate that out to relevant parties for an appraisal and approval process and when that design is approved we can initially create the Temporary Works Register. This will then go out to the sites with the teams to allow them to set up the site in accordance with the design and register.

If there are any issues that require a change tot he design they would be required to go through myself as the Temporary Works Coordinator to approve any changes and the register would be amended accordingly.

For those with experience in this does that appear to be a sound process?
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy