Gate Runners

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

speshtiny

Gate Runners

Post by speshtiny »

Hi all,

I am having a moment and require your assistants. I have a very heavy gate at work. The other night the security was securing the gate when the runners gave way and dropped the gate. The security guard was fine but could have gone bad for them.
The question is this a RIDDOR report under Dangerous Occurance?

It has "The collapse, overturning or failure of any load-bearing part of any lifting equipment, other than an accessory for lifting." under lifting, but this bearing was holding the gate.

Anyway, thank you in advance if you can help.
Juan Carlos
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Gate Runners

Post by Juan Carlos »

It would not come under the description for RIDDOR in my opinion.

Still investigate and put measures in place to prevent recurrence.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

The reporting process is: "designed to obtain information primarily about incidents with a high potential to cause death or serious injury, but which happen relatively infrequently."

"These dangerous occurrences apply to all workplaces and include incidents involving, lifting equipment, pressure systems, overhead electric lines, electrical incidents causing explosion or fire, explosions, biological agents, radiation generators and radiography, breathing apparatus, diving operations, collapse of scaffolding, train collisions, wells and pipelines or pipeline works."

Emphasis mine - but it goes to show that this should not be read as an exhaustive list, and a dangerous occurrence that is not listed may well still need to be reported.

So I would err on the side of caution and report it.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
speshtiny

Post by speshtiny »

Hi all,

In light of the gate and nearly seriously injuring a staff member. After investigation, it was found that the gate falling over was not a result of a component failing. it was a combination of operator error, poor maintenance and a design flaw.

What's being done ( FYI)
- Back stopped removed during maintenance and not put back. Maintenance staff training
- A better backstop being designed and installed, as well as line indicators i.e. do not push beyond the line.
- Staff trained on daily checks of the gate before opening and closing

In light of this, I have decided this is not a Dangerous occurrence, just a near miss. if however, the staff was seriously injured I would have RIDDOR'd this to death.

Thank you all for your feedback, don't you just love H&S?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy