Newbie documentation questions FLT etc

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

shi-g

Newbie documentation questions FLT etc

Post by shi-g »

Good afternoon one and all. Firstly apologies for my blank profile but I have not quite yet figured out how to provide more detail about myself. Suffice to say I suppose I could have written introductory post. Anyway promise im not a bot :D

So I work for a large group but within a smaller UK subsidiary. I have just had HSE responsibility added to my job role. So its a steep learning curve. Although thankfully I am following on from somebody who respectfully did their very best. But was finding it difficult to maintain.

This being my first post I wanted to ask the advice and opinion of you all if I may concerning documentation. Looking first at FLT where we have two trucks. One a counterbalance and the other a reach. Both operate in a small, ish warehouse with tall racking. Both are used generally by one operator perhaps up to half a dozen times a day. Just to give you a brief overview and thanks for staying with me so far.

So the operator fills out a pre-shift check each morning. And the way it has worked since I took over is that the operator brings a pile of check sheets for both trucks up to the office once a month. These are completed manually by the operator with a tick in each box and a signature at the bottom and dated. The office then scan them to an electronic folder where they are sorted by date & truck type and put into the appropriate folders.

Of course I accept the pre shift check has to be done daily. But I think otherwise its a right faff !

Im sure it could be done far better. And I would appreciate comments to that effect. But does the operator legally have to hand sign the documents. Do we need to keep paper copies as well as electronic copies.

Rack inspections and inspection of workshop tools are also done in a similar fashion by the way. So you can probably understand my curiosity to find improved methods.

Thanks in advance for sticking with me and for taking the time to reply.
stretch3144
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Health and Safety Consultant

Re: Newbie documentation questions FLT etc

Post by stretch3144 »

Good morning shi-g.
Welcome to the forum.
Here's the requirement from HSE:
Thorough examination of industrial lift trucks is required under health and safety law: LOLER 1998, which covers lifting equipment, and PUWER 1998, which deals with all other safety-related items, such as brakes, steering and tyres. Your regular inspections* as part of a preventive maintenance scheme or scheduled service are not a thorough examination. For more information see L117 Rider-operated lift trucks: Operator training and safe use and INDG422 Thorough examination of lifting equipment (PDF) .
* Regular inspection translates to pre-use checks.

The system you are currently operating worked for me in previous H&S roles. Once you have scanned the check sheets, there is no requirement to hold the paper copies.
It is possible to set up electronic reporting - take a look at Safety Culture's app and search for a pre-use check. You can install their app on Android and iOS devices and set it up to email the completed report to whomever requires it. It can then be saved in PDF or MS Word.

For information on Warehouse Racking:
https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/hsg76.htm
shi-g

Post by shi-g »

Thanks for the reply. Much obliged.

The one thing I find a bit grey although I asked our truck training people. Is concerning signatures. Our training people said as long as there is a name it doesnt need to be a personal signature.
stretch3144
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Health and Safety Consultant

Post by stretch3144 »

That's fine - it's just a record to show the pre-use check has been completed.
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

I have sent you a PM with details about our digital system in case it helps you out (sounds like it will) - just message me back with any questions you might have,
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
shi-g

Post by shi-g »

Much obliged to all and thanks for the PM I will be looking into it.
Juan Carlos
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by Juan Carlos »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum :)

No need to keep two copies. One would suffice. Important to keep them and ok for the driver to bring them as a whole once a month providing he is highlighting issues and bringing them up to your attention as soon as these are found. Agree with above, a signature is not required, however, it helps in putting a level of responsibility onto the operator conducting the checks and therefore, making them do a better job of the inspection. If you go the funds, go for a paperless system that could alert you of defects being reported at once.

Same applies to racking inspections. make sure you have records of those and make sure 12monthly checks are conducted by a SEMA approved inspector.

all the best.
shi-g

Post by shi-g »

Juan Carlos wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:58 pm Hi,
Welcome to the forum :)

No need to keep two copies. One would suffice. Important to keep them and ok for the driver to bring them as a whole once a month providing he is highlighting issues and bringing them up to your attention as soon as these are found. Agree with above, a signature is not required, however, it helps in putting a level of responsibility onto the operator conducting the checks and therefore, making them do a better job of the inspection. If you go the funds, go for a paperless system that could alert you of defects being reported at once.

Same applies to racking inspections. make sure you have records of those and make sure 12monthly checks are conducted by a SEMA approved inspector.

all the best.
Much obliged thankyou.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy