Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

molly!
Student
Student

Damp and Mould RA

Post by molly! »

good afternoon good people

I have been asked to complete a damp and mould RA ? honestly wouldn't know were to start - i have things in my head like face fit tests but these are only for people who go in and out of affected homes for 30 mins? would this be overkill or will an FFP3 suffice?

I don't want out care staff visiting the sites cleaning or touching the substance so I have assessed this will need to be completed and removed by a professional contractor.

HSE haven't been all that helpful so is there anyone who can point me in the right direction??

thanks again :)

M
Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Re: Damp and Mould RA

Post by Penfold »

Hi Molly

Is the risk assessment for staff entering a property on a visit where mould and damp is present or for the health effects on the person living in the house?

Penfold
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
molly!
Student
Student

Post by molly! »

It would be the person's visiting the house at this point, the care home group has an assest team who need to complete on for the tenants which will probably involve moving them out until the works have been completed
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

You might find this download of interest, has some useful advice and information relating to damp and mould along with possible actions to take. It's a fairly old report (2009) so not sure if all the additional links at the end of the document will still be active.

https://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/ ... ochure.pdf
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

If you in any way represent the housing / council (directly or contractors) you cannot reasonably have staff members entering someone's home wearing PPE, while expecting the residents to remain in the environment – either the site is safe enough for people to live in, or the site should be vacated and masks worn by staff.

If these are owned homes, then it will be much trickier. How will you know about the degree of damp / mould until you arrive? I would assume that different types of mould have varied dangers, ranging from nothing at all, to fairly notable. My head says that basic masks would probably be good enough for short visits, but you are going to need something to back that assumption up.

Easy wins:

* Where possible open windows for ventilation when in spaces with identified mould issues.
* Ensure all identified mould issues are reported correctly.
* Do not spend longer than necessary in environments where mould has been identified as an issue.
* Staff with a respiratory condition like asthma or COPD or a weakened immune system must stay away from mouldy locations.
* No young persons or pregnant persons to attend these sites.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

witsd wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:41 pm If you in any way represent the housing / council (directly or contractors) you cannot reasonably have staff members entering someone's home wearing PPE, while expecting the residents to remain in the environment – either the site is safe enough for people to live in, or the site should be vacated and masks worn by staff.

If these are owned homes, then it will be much trickier. How will you know about the degree of damp / mould until you arrive? I would assume that different types of mould have varied dangers, ranging from nothing at all, to fairly notable. My head says that basic masks would probably be good enough for short visits, but you are going to need something to back that assumption up.

Easy wins:

* Where possible open windows for ventilation when in spaces with identified mould issues.
* Ensure all identified mould issues are reported correctly.
* Do not spend longer than necessary in environments where mould has been identified as an issue.
* Staff with a respiratory condition like asthma or COPD or a weakened immune system must stay away from mouldy locations.
* No young persons or pregnant persons to attend these sites.
Thank you Witsd for this reply, which also answered my own query on this situation. I saw almost exactly the same scenario at my Mother's house a number of years ago to which absolutely no precautions were taken except to open a side door.

Molly - It's great to see how much you care in getting this right. clapclap

As far as my Mother's scenario, I had to fight with the Council to even contemplate there was a problem for my 93 year old Mum and her Home-helps. If my memory serves me correctly and with intervention from Jack Kane, we decanted my Mum, therefore no Home-helps had to go into the area, whilst the kitchen renewal was carried out.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy