1st full time role in H&S

Introduce yourself in here if you like :wave:

Moderator: Moderators

Craighutch

1st full time role in H&S

Post by Craighutch »

Hi all!
I happened to stumble across this site by total chance, and I am so pleased I did. :D

I am 7 months into my first ever full time health and safety position within a machinery manufacturing environment.

I have 22 previous years manufacturing experience, in which I was on the safety committee as part of my role as a machine operator. It was in this role that I fancied learning more so I studied for the NEBOSH GC in my own time at a local college. The plan was to try and join the H&S Management team within that firm, when there was an available position.

Sadly due to fall in construction activity across the country at the time, them plans did not go as anticipated and although I was still keen to find a role in safety, I was afraid of leaving the nest, so to speak.

When the pandemic kicked in, I enjoyed about 7 months of beautiful sunshine in my garden, on full pay, giving myself a bit of a reality check with every sip of cold beer .bounce

When the letter arrived offering workers a voluntary redundancy package, it was a kick start to finding something I really should of done years ago. I then took about 16 months in a firm in delivery work/and coldstore environment which was an eye opener for sure!

Fast forward the clock 7 months and I am now a health and safety coordinator for a very unique heat exchange company in the north east of England.
My role over the last half year has been full on, with many of the tasks totally overlooked by the external "experts" leading the health and safety provision.

Its challenging, demanding, rewarding, never ending, and sometimes banging your head off the wall . But I have made a start .
lets see where we go !

final thought...... One of my apprentices was observed about to cut some galv box section with a handheld grinder/cutting disc. When instructed to wear ear plugs as well as his face screen, before he started, he said "EAR PLUGS??? , IS THAT TO STOP SPARKS GOING IN MY EARS?"

I NEARLY CHOKED :shock:
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: 1st full time role in H&S

Post by Alexis »

Wow! congrats clapclap

Great introduction Craighutch! .salut

A very warm welcome to our HSfB Family and amazing what you have done.

So pleased you have found us and look forward to hearing from you in our forums.

In case you are not aware of our main website with all our Downloads, just click on the logo at the top left of this page and it will take you there.
https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/

You can also find us on LinkedIn, our FB Group and Twitter. Just scroll to the bottom of this page (or our Downloads page) and you will find all the little icons to click on for access. :D

Enjoy your new career path. clapclap .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Craighutch

Post by Craighutch »

Thank you Alexis !
I have had a couple of peaks in different sections, the free download section is quite possibly better than some paid provision i have seen !

Loads of valuable information. It will be a huge help to me I am sure !!!

Many thanks for giving up your time to run the site
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Craighutch wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:15 pm Thank you Alexis !
I have had a couple of peaks in different sections, the free download section is quite possibly better than some paid provision i have seen !

Loads of valuable information. It will be a huge help to me I am sure !!!

Many thanks for giving up your time to run the site
Hi Craig.

Many thanks for your kind words, which are appreciated. :)

The free downloads started as our site owner's own study materials looooonggg time ago. Soon, our fantastic members, both way back then and now, gave even more of their own work downloads to us, where Jack Kane (our site owner) does all the backside techy stuff to ensure these downloads are then set and organised appropriately within our main site pages as well as ensuring everyone entering HSfB will be as secure as possible.

As for my time, I have to say, without our member inputs, using their valuable time and our always-there dedicated Moderators over the years, as "Team HSfB", we all deserve a wee pat on the back. ;) :occasion5:

Oh and PS........ Keep in mind that some downloads may be a little out of date, so double-checking the Legislation is always wise. ./thumbsup..
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

Wellcome for the forums .cheers
Craighutch wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:08 am final thought...... One of my apprentices was observed about to cut some galv box section with a handheld grinder/cutting disc. When instructed to wear ear plugs as well as his face screen, before he started, he said "EAR PLUGS??? , IS THAT TO STOP SPARKS GOING IN MY EARS?"
[smilie=smiley-faces11.gif]

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
EagleBeagle
Student
Student

Post by EagleBeagle »

Craighutch wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:08 am
Its challenging, demanding, rewarding, never ending, and sometimes banging your head off the wall . But I have made a start .
lets see where we go !
Welcome, the key is good quality head protection because sometimes that's the only thing you can do.

:lol:

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy