Sprinklers - BS EN 12845 - annual inspections

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Sprinklers - BS EN 12845 - annual inspections

Post by Paul1979 »

Looking for advice please! :shock:

Do sprinkler systems under BS EN 12845 have to be inspected every year by an independent body as well as being tested / serviced every year by a competent person??

If so, what is the thought process behind this and what does the inspection cover which is not by the service?? Is it just to check up on what the testing / servicing engineers are doing or is there a good reason to insist upon this?

Also, is this a 'should' or 'must'? I am guessing either way the end user will need to do it to comply with standards?!

Completely confused here so any guidance much appreciated! .salut
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Sprinklers - BS EN 12845 - annual inspections

Post by Messy »

A quick answer - I have no idea and frankly have never heard of this double maintenance idea. That's not to say such a process doesn't exist.

If you drop this lot a message, they will be able to help. I have found them very useful in the past and please come back and let us know when you find the answer ./thumbsup..

https://www.business-sprinkler-alliance.org
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Chalk me up as 'never heard of that one' as well.

Different insurers may demand different standards of inspection though, so perhaps it's just an insurance thing?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Paul1979
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Post by Paul1979 »

Messy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:52 pm If you drop this lot a message, they will be able to help. I have found them very useful in the past and please come back and let us know when you find the answer ./thumbsup..

https://www.business-sprinkler-alliance.org
Thank you Messy - I have sent them a message asking for some clarification; from reading the Annex Q it appears to me that the 'Inspection' oversees all elements of the system including the design, install, suitability (taking into account any fire loading changes) and also the maintenance of the system...but to me, if there has been no material changes since the system was first installed and it has been tested / maintained in accordance with the standards, then why then have the expense of another inspection each year?!

As far I can see, we don't see this recommendation on BS5839 or BS5266?

Anyways I will let you know what Business Sprinkler Alliance come back with! .salut
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Paul1979

Post by Paul1979 »

Ok...I never received a reply from Business Sprinkler Alliance but have received this from someone else - I would stress, they have no commercial interest in whether or not the annual inspection is carried out so this is purely their advice...but their stance was quite clear!

"The annual independent inspection should be always be performed, in addition to the regular testing / maintenance performed by in-house staff and external contractors / engineers.

Paragraph 21 requires the annual inspection to be performed; whilst Annex Q does not help make things clear, the purpose of the requirement to have a third party inspection report completed annually is also a requirement of Technical Bulletin 203 (TB203). The intention behind the annual inspection not being performed by the company who designed / installed the system and also not the maintenance / servicing engineers is to have a truly independent opinion on the system design, install, components, fire-loadings, hazards, testing and maintenance regimes, etc.

The problem with the design and installation company or maintenance / servicing engineers performing such an inspection and ‘marking their own homework’ is that any issues / shortfalls may not be identified, leaving the system non-compliant.

In addition, 13-week / quarterly ‘Review of Hazard’ reviews should also be performed to comply with the standard. However, in premises where changes to the structural layout and / or occupancy may be less complex or likely to occur, three of these quarterly reviews can be undertaken by the system user completing a Review of Hazard Form.

So, in answer to your question, for the sprinkler system to meet the BS EN 12845 standards and to evidence compliance with Article 17 (Maintenance) of the Fire Safety Order 2005, the annual inspection by an independent third party body should take place.

It is also worth noting that the annual independent inspection is also a requirement of most Insurers terms and therefore a risk of policy conditions / warranties being breached may also exist if the annual inspection does not take place. I am not an insurance expert, so it is also probably worth you running this past your broker / insurance company for their stance as it may prove that without the third party inspection report, claims may not be met."

Any thoughts / comments?!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy