Do I PAT Test My Personal Equipment

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Do I PAT Test My Personal Equipment

Post by witsd »

Disclaimer: I am not, nor ever have been anything close to an electrician.

My understanding is that PAT requires the use of a small but costly gizmo. Certainly whoever is conducting PAT needs to know how to use said gizmo, and also how to recognise other visible wear and tear, but outside of that I see no need for any other training in order to be deemed 'competent', which is usually the standard required. Experience is normally far better than a training course.

The only reason I hesitate to say that that should be a pretty definite answer is because I know electrics come with a very lengthy list of non H&S rules, with which I am not at all familiar.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Do I PAT Test My Personal Equipment

Post by stephen1974 »

Having a PAT qualification is not mandatory. The requirement is that testing is carried out by a competent person.
All the course is going to do is teach you how to use a piece of equipment and do a visual inspection.

The course itself might be cheap, but the test equipment is likelt to set you back a good few hundred quid. I've seen some cheap ones at £270+ and they go up to a couple of grand. Most people ive seen have machines in the £600-£1000 range but these are guys who are testing a lot of equipment on each job, not just a few tools.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy