TFL accident report form

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

dorr

TFL accident report form

Post by dorr »

Hi. I had a fall at a tfl overground station & went in to report it as you do, when I explained I had fallen the reply was "no you did not"
this went back & forth a few times until I said did you not see it on cctv which was met with the response " got better things to do than
watch that". So I asked to fill out an accident report form & was told " no it was outside" so explained it was still part of the station
& the reply was "no" , four times I asked & four times I was refused. I was also looked up & down & told "your not hurt"

I returned later to ask the afternoon staff if I could fill one in to be told " it has been done" to which my reply was how could it be done
without my name, address ,accident details etc the reply was " it has been all done they have your details & it is done". Now this is the bit I do not understand I was told I could not have a copy of the accident report form nor was I allowed to read it but could view it from a distance, I was told that the cctv would be reviewed & if I really did fall then I would be contacted, the union/ HSE rep is one in the same person who just happened to appear later on like the shopkeeper from Mr Benn & he confirmed I could not have a copy nor read it.

No one contacted me so I contacted tfl asking various questions including why they refused to fill in an accident report form initially & why I could not read or have a copy & were any of my rights breached etc to be told " that all correct procedures were followed regarding the report form by the staff member" they also stated "the staff member will given feedback & coaching on delivering messages in a more emphatic way", any other questions were not answered, personally I think they were quite emphatic in say no. Has anyone ever come across this before where you are not allowed to look, have a copy or contribute to the accident report form.

Sorry if it is too long & thanks for reading.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: TFL accident report form

Post by Alexis »

Hi dorr and welcome.

Sorry to hear you have had an accident and hope you are alright.

Although Companies are required to fill out accident forms, they are not obliged, by law, to share any of their accident forms with you dorr. They may have policies pertaining to such, so it would be worth your while to check their policies and if it states within these policies that the company will share accident forms on request, then they must comply.

I understand you wanting to see what the accident form contained, but it does sound like the company concerned has done what is required for the time being and will be in contact with yourself at a later date.

Perhaps they could have been a little more empathetic in the way it was handled though to save you further anxiety.

Good luck and hope you recover soon.

Some of our members may still come in with their own thoughts when they have a moment.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
dorr

Post by dorr »

Alexis wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:30 am Hi dorr and welcome.

Sorry to hear you have had an accident and hope you are alright.

Although Companies are required to fill out accident forms, they are not obliged, by law, to share any of their accident forms with you dorr. They may have policies pertaining to such, so it would be worth your while to check their policies and if it states within these policies that the company will share accident forms on request, then they must comply.

I understand you wanting to see what the accident form contained, but it does sound like the company concerned has done what is required for the time being and will be in contact with yourself at a later date.

Perhaps they could have been a little more empathetic in the way it was handled though to save you further anxiety.

Good luck and hope you recover soon.

Some of our members may still come in with their own thoughts when they have a moment.
Thank you for your answer, but my problem is how do I know if they told the truth in the report as they did not witness the accident nor took a statement from me or any of my details & as far as they are concerned the matter is closed.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Hello dorr.

If you are seeking to take this further, the only option you have, in my own personal view, would be to consult a Solicitor initially and ask their advice. The fee for a consultation should not be too much.

I am sorry you feel you were treated without kindness and sympathy at the outset and really hope you find some satisfaction without any more stress.

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

It's not something I've ever been on this side of (normally being the one filing the reports), but would an FOI request not force them to provide all the stored information directly relating to Dorr?

Sure, they can leave out certain bits that don't directly relate, but anything else should be included, no?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

witsd wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:09 pm It's not something I've ever been on this side of (normally being the one filing the reports), but would an FOI request not force them to provide all the stored information directly relating to Dorr?

Sure, they can leave out certain bits that don't directly relate, but anything else should be included, no?
Good idea witsd. ./thumbsup.. I found this link and will have a look through it shortly to see how to go about it. https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/transparen ... %20reports.

Dorr - This my offer some assistance?

dorr

Post by dorr »

Thank you for the replies, I will check out FOI & also look at doing a DSAR ,all I want to know is what they
put in the report as they did not see the accident or take a statement. I am not looking for financial gain
in any way. I do think they used a bit of poetic licence in the report. And now the staff member refuses to
interact with me & I am now dealt with by the cleaner if I need service & he comes out to talk to me or I
have to go when she is not on.

Many thanks once again.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

dorr wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:17 pm Thank you for the replies, I will check out FOI & also look at doing a DSAR ,all I want to know is what they
put in the report as they did not see the accident or take a statement. I am not looking for financial gain
in any way. I do think they used a bit of poetic licence in the report. And now the staff member refuses to
interact with me & I am now dealt with by the cleaner if I need service & he comes out to talk to me or I
have to go when she is not on.

Many thanks once again.
Thank you for your update dorr and once again, I am sorry you have had all this extra stress.

Take care and good luck with your FOI request. bighug

Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

As mentioned above, no requirement to share the initial accident report or any subsequent findings. Even a FOI request may result in little or no info as they may retain it "in anticipation of legal action", or significantly redacted it, and ironically that would be redacting your details, injuries and statement.
It may help to decide what you actually want to achieve from pursuing the matter - is it to see a copy of a report, a report that you do not think exists! to receive an 'apology' which seems to have been given in part, or something else?
dorr

Post by dorr »

I want to see what is in the report because I am stumped to how they could fill it in without the facts if they did not
witness the accident nor took a statement from me as to how it happened. They could have said anything in the report
& I doubt it would a true reflection of events. I do believe there is a report.

All I want to know is if the form has the true version of events as this could happen to someone else
who might not be as lucky as me.
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

However, if they do nothing with the report, it makes no difference, and if you wanted something to happen, you can check and challenge the contents. Remember that they don't need to show you the report even if you were to make a claim, or at least not until things have progressed a bit.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy