HMO Fire Doors

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

HMO Fire Doors

Post by witsd »

I've spent a good 15 minutes looking now and I can't see where in legislation the requirement for an HMO to have internal fire doors on bedrooms and kitchens is.

I know there's a requirement - everyone says so, but I can't find anything in actual legislation. Best I've got so far is that HMOs classify as relevant premises (Fire Scotland Act, section 78, combined with section 5 of the Housing Scotland Act).

There's also section 2.1 of the Building (Scotland) Regs, but that's vague and doors are not specifically mentioned.

It can't just be in general guidance, can it?

Any further pointers would be appreciated.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: HMO Fire Doors

Post by Alexis »

Can anyone offer anything more definitive for Witsd please?

Many thanks if you can. Always appreciated.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Ian Rienewerf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ian Rienewerf »

Go to the June 2022 technical handbook linked on this page.
It's the 156 page document, via the middle link of the 3x listed = Section-0 and Section-2 interim publication PDF (for Domestic buildings)
https://www.gov.scot/policies/building- ... gulations/
The regs appear to be geared for multi occupancy tower blocks and sheltered accommodation - but should apply equally apply to HMO (homes of multiple occupancy) where the bedroom door leads onto a first floor landing or ground floor corridor or escape route.

Quote: Standard 2.2
Every building, which is divided into more than one area of different occupation, must be designed and constructed in such a way that in the event of an outbreak of fire within the building, fire and smoke are inhibited from spreading beyond the area of occupation where the fire originated.

2.2.2 Dwellings with common occupation
"A separating wall or separating floor with at least a medium fire resistance duration should be provided between a dwelling and any other part of the building in common occupation. A protected zone and a common access corridor should be considered as being in common occupation. Any self-closing fire door installed in these separating walls should have at least a short fire resistance duration....."
http://www.irems.co.uk
Risk management for companies with 5 to 50 employees
Ian Rienewerf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ian Rienewerf »

Additional info = the kitchen is a shared area, therefore it is not an area of different occupation.
The higher fire risk will need to be controlled via a fire door or equivalent protection.

I assume that using page 65 of the handbook:
The bedrooms will be regulated under 2.2 Standard, 2.2.0 introduction, and 2.2.1 Dwellings under different occupation.
The kitchen will be regulated under 2.2 Standard, 2.2.0 introduction, and 2.2.2 Dwellings with common occupation.
http://www.irems.co.uk
Risk management for companies with 5 to 50 employees
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Ian Rienewerf wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:13 amAdditional info = the kitchen is a shared area, therefore it is not an area of different occupation.
The higher fire risk will need to be controlled via a fire door or equivalent protection.

I assume that using page 65 of the handbook:
The bedrooms will be regulated under 2.2 Standard, 2.2.0 introduction, and 2.2.1 Dwellings under different occupation.
The kitchen will be regulated under 2.2 Standard, 2.2.0 introduction, and 2.2.2 Dwellings with common occupation.
Well found - very much appreciated!

Just as a bit of background info - we have a company telling us that all our fire doors within the HMO they are looking at should be linked to the fire panel, which is clearly a load of twaddle, but seeing as we couldn't locate the requirement for the doors in the first place, we wanted to get ourselves in order before telling them to shove off. :D
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

witsd wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:57 pm
Just as a bit of background info - we have a company telling us that all our fire doors within the HMO they are looking at should be linked to the fire panel, which is clearly a load of twaddle, but seeing as we couldn't locate the requirement for the doors in the first place, we wanted to get ourselves in order before telling them to shove off. :D

Linked as in magnetic door holders? :roll: - All of them?
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Messy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:02 pmLinked as in magnetic door holders? :roll: - All of them?
Oh yes indeed. The perks of working for a large company – everyone thinks it's worth trying to push their luck.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy