Safety shoes, occupational health

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Safety shoes, occupational health

Post by ddlh »

Hi Essex - I sure do follow your thinking and as a man with 45 years in heavy industry I can see your frustration and annoyance - but from a professional point of view - and in these days of not offending anyone - we have no option but to manage these situations.

Difficult at it seems, change is difficult for some people. I agree that the provider is shirking its responsibilities and should be investigating the issue -
which we must assume is real until investigated?

If that process then deems there is a medical issue with the new boots and they are necessary for the work required, then the matter moves to H R to sort out - not the safety advisors issue. Clear roles and responsibilities knowledge would sort this issue. And this is a major thing for me.

Long gone are the days we can reject people who complain about working conditions.

I was told a story once about a coal miner ( cannot prove it was correct or not) who complained his gas monitor was always going off and was told it was faulty as no one elses was going off - until there was a methane gas explosion.

Kind Regards

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
Steven

Post by Steven »

We have a few managers that have offices inside the warehouse, they don't ware safety shoe's or boots, they say they don't have to because they are just 4 or 5 feet inside the warehouse, they are always moving around the warehouse in normal shoe's, is this acceptable, I don't think it is.
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

I totally agree with you and have worked with like minded people who will try everything to cause unrest or barriers - a union rep actually advised me that a certain employee was being awkward - because he could and he didnt like me.
Unfortunately the said employee was caught stamping an other employees card when the other employee was not even on site!

Point 1 - I too think the employee is at it but there is an underlying issue. Get them to support you on the risk assessment.
Point 2 - your OC advisor is not helping you by sitting on the fence - employ a different OC advisor.

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy