Moderator: Moderators

95HSE92
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Technology

Forklift Sign In/Out

Post by 95HSE92 »

Hi All,

Does anyone enforce a forklift key sign in/out system at their sites?

I know its not a legal requirement, what's the benefit of signing in and out the keys?

Thank you
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Forklift Sign In/Out

Post by Alexis »

Bump
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

Be practical, is it allocated to the operator all shift or is it used for a few minutes / hour by lots of opertors during the day? Presumably the keys are held in a secure point to be issued - typically a key cupboard in the office or issued by a supervisor depending on the set up. Are we sure a pre-user check is completed and legibly recorded as who who did it?
I can imagine scenario where it could be useful, but also how the paperwork could be burdensome.
What are we trying to achieve and would a sign in/out do the job?
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

All our trained FLT drivers have their own keys or codes to use on the FLT's so no sign outs needed
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
Safe&Sound
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Safe&Sound »

I agree with what Andy has already mentioned. First and foremost you would need to understand what you're trying to achieve with a sign in/out system and thus determine how efficient it will be.

I've seen clients where each driver is assigned a coloured key with their name on it whereas I've also seen each driver having their own keypad code to use the forklift. I can only assume you are looking at a sign in/out to prevent any unauthorised use? If this being the case then I've seen quite often keys being left in the ignition of the trucks whilst the drivers are on break so already in this scenario the sign in/out system is somewhat broken, especially when no disciplinary action is taken.

I have found from experience that the keypads are a great way to control who is authorised to use the forklift but again it's not entirely fool proof as he codes could be given out, but less likely!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy