Magnetic locks - Yes or No

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Magnetic locks - Yes or No

Post by stephen1974 »

Many doors in out building have magnetic locks for security reasons. None of the final exits do.
Some of the escape route have fire doors that are magnetically locked.

Of the four doors from our part of the building, two are magnetically locked, two are not, (not final exits but fire doors on escape routes to those exits) and we have security issues. The FM claims that the FS has said we cannot have magnetic locks on fire exits and im assuming he also means fire doors that service escape routes (even though we have them)

I don't recall anything that says we cant have magnetic locks on final exits or fire doors. Am I wrong?

My feeling is, when the refurb was done, they only looked at internal access restrictions and didnt think about people letting their mates in via fire exits and now that that is happening they are coming up with excuses to avoid the expense of more locks being added to the system. The two doors that have the locks also lead to other parts of the building where as those without just lead outside.
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: Magnetic locks - Yes or No

Post by Blackstone »

My understanding, and i'm certainly not a fire expect (waits to be shot down in flames :) ) is that if a magnetically locked door is on a fire route or final exit door there must be a manual button or call point style devise that allows the door to be opened from the inside.

Hope that make sense and it right .scratch
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

They do. No problem there, and they should automatically release in the event of a power failure or when the fire alarm is activated. I can only assume the later happens as i've never seen them check on weekly fire tests - but that another issue.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Mag locks are permitted on means of escape and final exits. A suitable override should be fitted. This can be mechanical (thumturn mortise) or electrical (green box).

Whether its connected to the fire alarm (to release when the fire alarm activates) really is a matter for the FRA.

A small office with <20 persons may be perfectly OK to just go with overrides and no interface with the fire alarm. Somewhere with lots of people, certainly lots of the public, would benefit from a link to the fire alarm - insofar as you can't really train or instruct the public how to use a green box override.

I worked until recently in a secure premises where none of the electrically locked doors were connected to the fire alarm - especially the final exits. You can imagine, it would be totally inappropriate for a police station custody area or bank's final exits to unlock at 3am when a robber slides a smoke bomb in!!!! Instead we tested and operated each manual override much more frequently than the British standard as a mitigating measure for no link.

So the guy in FM (Fantasy Man?) who said electrically locked doors were not possible was mistaken I am afraid
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Interesting security issue. What if the power fails, do they unlock then, as surely the manual controls work by interrupting the power.
Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Post by Paul1979 »

stephen1974 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:24 pm Interesting security issue. What if the power fails, do they unlock then, as surely the manual controls work by interrupting the power.
We had a similar issue on one of the properties we manage - the electronically locked doors on the perimeter of the building had full 'fail-safe' features in that they released automatically when the fire alarm was activated by 2x detectors or with a manual call point, they had green break glass units next to the doors, and they also automatically released when the buildings electrical power was interrupted (no UPS / back-up systems).

We overcome the security issue / risk of the doors releasing in the middle of the night if there was a power-cut or a problem with the alarm by fitting deadlocks which had keys, so that the last person leaving the building could secure the doors from the outside.

On one of the other properties we look after, due to high security needs, the doors don't automatically release / fail-safe, so we have the green break glass units next to all doors and each one is tested weekly along with the fire alarm. The FRA accepted this arrangement even though it did not match exactly what the books told us, as did the local Fire Authorities.

This might not help your exact situation, but hopefully may give you a steer.
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy