Covid Risk? Saw your fire door in half - that will solve it!!!!

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Covid Risk? Saw your fire door in half - that will solve it!!!!

Post by Messy »

For over two years, I fought pressure from management where I worked (and advice by their OH 'experts') to hold open fire doors to increase ventilation in an effort to control covid. I won as I was able to successfully show evidence of the outcomes of poor compartmentation in the event of fire during a angry board meeting.

Now I see the Scottish Govt are issuing advice to schools to trim the bottom off of fire doors to increase air flow. Of course, there's the cowardly 'subject to a risk assessment' caveat that puts the responsibility back to those responsible for fire safety.

Whilst I accept the risk profile for a care home is different from a school, have the Scottish Govt forgotten the Rosepark fire in 2004 that killed 14 which was mainly down to poor compartmentation? Schoolchildren of course are more ambulant than elderly people, but they also are far more mischievous as can be seen by the sheer number of arson fires in schools. Plus we entrust our most precious 'possessions' to the education authority and expect them to be safe.

This idea is ill conceived and poorly researched and must be stopped.

After the mismanagement that surrounds the law which makes it mandatory for smoke detectors in homes in Scotland, now this? What the hell is going on with fire safety in Scotland? Its often been far more advanced that the rest of the UK, but perhaps not at the moment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60261400
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Covid Risk? Saw your fire door in half - that will solve it!!!!

Post by Alexis »

Messy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:38 am For over two years, I fought pressure from management where I worked (and advice by their OH 'experts') to hold open fire doors to increase ventilation in an effort to control covid. I won as I was able to successfully show evidence of the outcomes of poor compartmentation in the event of fire during a angry board meeting.

Now I see the Scottish Govt are issuing advice to schools to trim the bottom off of fire doors to increase air flow. Of course, there's the cowardly 'subject to a risk assessment' caveat that puts the responsibility back to those responsible for fire safety.

Whilst I accept the risk profile for a care home is different from a school, have the Scottish Govt forgotten the Rosepark fire in 2004 that killed 14 which was mainly down to poor compartmentation? Schoolchildren of course are more ambulant than elderly people, but they also are far more mischievous as can be seen by the sheer number of arson fires in schools. Plus we entrust our most precious 'possessions' to the education authority and expect them to be safe.

This idea is ill conceived and poorly researched and must be stopped.

After the mismanagement that surrounds the law which makes it mandatory for smoke detectors in homes in Scotland, now this? What the hell is going on with fire safety in Scotland? Its often been far more advanced that the rest of the UK, but perhaps not at the moment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60261400
Just like you Messy, I was horrified to hear this and even more horrified to watch the Scottish Parliament First Ministers condescending eye-rolling reply that this suggestion (of cutting the bottom off doors" was only one option to improve air flow and safety rules would be followed, ending with the questioning being "infantile". What safety rules do we have in H&S Regulations that would accept the cutting of the doors? .scratch
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment

Post by Messy »

I would (reluctantly) eat my words if there was any science or meaningful research to even back up that cutting the bottom of the door is helpful for ventilation.

I sometimes think I am in a huge long dream/nightmare where I am living in a comedy sketch show. Or maybe I am ill?

In my mind, Trump was president, Boris is PM and we came out of the EU to be economically stronger ....... now the Scottish Govt are asking education managers to install the top half of a stable door as a fire door in schools. Despite it being a comedy show, none of the jokes are funny :(
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Messy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:05 am I would (reluctantly) eat my words if there was any science or meaningful research to even back up that cutting the bottom of the door is helpful for ventilation.

I sometimes think I am in a huge long dream/nightmare where I am living in a comedy sketch show. Or maybe I am ill?

In my mind, Trump was president, Boris is PM and we came out of the EU to be economically stronger ....... now the Scottish Govt are asking education managers to install the top half of a stable door as a fire door in schools. Despite it being a comedy show, none of the jokes are funny :(
Hear-Hear! Messy and no you are not ill! .salut

RPN_MSC
Student
Student

Post by RPN_MSC »

That is painfully stupid. Who on earth came up with this idea?
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Education secretary Shirley-Anne Somerville said an estimated 2,000 doors classrooms could benefit from being “undercut to increase air flow”.

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Messy »

I have just looked her up thinking she must be completely ignorant of buildings and construction to find she has a 'Diploma in Housing studies' (whatever that is).

She was probably late in the morning they had the fire safety lecture ;)
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Taking a step back from my immediate reaction, which is the same as Messy's, I wonder if there are any details to this suggestion for actual analysis?

Let's say 10mm is taken off the bottom of classroom doors.
Does that allow a meaningful increase in ventilation as part of Covid Controls, or does it disproportionately increase the risk of smoke/flame spread?
Does it significantly breach the protection of the corridor to which it leads from the classroom?
Do we need the door to protect the corridor for 10 minutes while the school is evacuated, or an hour for the Fire Service to get a fire in the area under control?

It's not a simple tick sheet exercise for some local authority bureaucrat.

There's a lot of technical stuff that should have been looked at, including reviewing any existing Fire Door data before probably conducting some new tests, before the Scots Government floated this idea.

Incidentally, this is a newly installed Fire Door in our refurbished Doctor's practice.....perhaps 20mm gap at the bottom .scratch
20210916_135343.jpg
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Messy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:48 pm I have just looked her up thinking she must be completely ignorant of buildings and construction to find she has a 'Diploma in Housing studies' (whatever that is).

She was probably late in the morning they had the fire safety lecture ;)
They didn't cover safety, it's all bureaucrat stuff https://www.cih.org/qualifications/cih- ... in-housing

All about being ethical and strategic.....
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy