Hoists

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Gazbomb

Hoists

Post by Gazbomb »

Hi everyone havin a problem at work would like to no were I stand legally. My issue is there is a job were I work that requires a hoist to lift an object but it often brakes down and I'm expected to lift the job by hand by my managers who pressurise/bully/intimidate me.But I have also been told if I have an accident by lifting the objects by hand and hurt myself the company will not support me financially because I failed to use the hoist that was provided. Also there is a massive denial culture were no one admits to telling the truth.Whats my best approach to this situation
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Re: Hoists

Post by Safety »

Hi,

1. Is there a risk assessment for this task and if so what does it state about lifting and what to use?
2. Have you received manual handling training and been provided with refresher training?
3. Have you been trained in the task and use of the hoist?
4. What is the weight of the objects you lift and how many times in a working day are you lifting these?

I would recommend you document times/dates etc of these issues and when you have asked for help etc too

If you cant speak to the managers do you have union rep?
Are you in a union? if not maybe worth joining one, you can then raise the issue with them directly

If all else fails you can report the company to the HSE: https://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/concerns.htm

You can also contact ACAS: https://www.acas.org.uk/ who will give you further advice.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

Gazbomp - I fully support the guidance from Safety - spot on.
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Put your concerns in writting to your line manager and ensure you have a copy - e-mail is the best way with a copy sent to an e-mail account you can access from home, create a free e-mail accunt if you have to with gmail and send it there. Also send copies of any replies there.

If you have an internal process for raising health and safety concerns, use it, and keep evidence that you did so (photo of a hazard report card for example)

Contact your union if you have one or ACAS if you dont.

Personally, id record any conversations with your line manager ordering you to do it by hand.

I dont see you being able to persuade them to change their shoddy practices without heavyweight support from a union or acas so your next best bet is to gather as much evidence as possible that 1) you have raised the issue in accordance with all available company policies and procedures and 2) your managers have ordered you to carry out practices that go against procvedures and risk assessments.
Gazbomb

Post by Gazbomb »

thanks for the feedback ,the comments have given me a few things to think about and digest and hopefully i will be a bit better prepared for this on going battle .what i cannot understand is that people in charge of me in positions of authority and should no better will instruct me to do dangerous practices just to get the job done and i no they have been on multiple hse course it really does beggar belief.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy