Hips

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Hips

Post by Safety »

.salut and a happy Friday to you all.

Anyone out there has a full hip replacement?

I have been having problems with mine for a few years, x-rays, MRIs, and CTs done, latest CT results came back to be told I need a total hip replacement on my right side - well my head fell off (not literally :lol: )

I have pain and problems but never thought I would need that work done. So after 2 weeks of coming around to the fact that its going to happen I'm sort of dealing with it now.

Just wondered if anyone out there has had this done out of curiosity? :D
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Hips

Post by Alexis »

Oh! Really sorry to hear this Safety.

I haven't had such an op to be able to offer any thoughts sorry. I only know that people who have had this done say results are excellent.

I hope someone in the know will come in with their experiences.

Take care Safety. bighug
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I am afraid while lots of bits of mine are falling off or going mouldy, my hip seems to have survived so far.

My mother in law had it done a few years back and was very miserable and grumbled a lot soon after being discharged - we were suprised she was back to normal so quickly 😉

Seriously she was very anxious before the op, but she is a very determined individual. This resilient "Its not going to get me down" attitude was pivotal to her rapid recovery.

She researched heavily via Dr Google so she knew what would happen and the risks, and was obsessive with her OT exercises and diet after

I think the fact you are already researching via this site is a great sign and I wish you well . How long will you need to wait?
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Post by Safety »

Thanks for the feedback, I am very nervous, I'm having in done on the 29th March 2022, so not that long to wait. I have a trip to Australia to get in first before I'm on the table, they wont operate if I'm flying within three months of the operation.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Hi Safety,

I have not had such an op but my step dad has had one hip replaced and waiting for the other to be done. He had significant pain that made it uncomfortable to walk and sit in certain positions.
Since the first op it has changed his life a lot and made him more mobile and able to do a lot more almost pain free (on that side).
I know he had to have a bunch of time off work and take it easy for a while but looking up now

Hope that helps
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Briefly, my wife had hers replaced about 4 years ago.
Hers was painful and she had lost most of the ability to move the leg outwards, it only went backwards and forwards. The Ball Joint had become more like an elbow or knee in it's range of movement.

We used to walk miles at weekends perhaps 10-12 on a good day, which was getting more and more restricted as she couldn't do things like climb over styles. So it got cut back to only 2-3 miles.

At her doctor's suggestion, she did lots of exercise bike cycling before the op and has contained it afterwards.

During lockdown last year she started going out walking 3 days a week with a friend who's a serious 'Rambler', while I worked from home as usual.
Six days a week she starts the day with about 1/2 an hour on the bike.
Then the pair of them typically do 7-10 miles in about 3 hours, Mon, Wed & Fri.

You'll be amazed at the difference it'll make. They get you walking on it the next day, no lounging about. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas / Renewables / Consultancy

Post by wendolene26 »

My mother had a hip replacement a few years back following a fall which resulted in a broken hip. She had been plagued with joint pain pretty much most of my life (40+ years) and the hip replacement has certainly made a big difference to her. It's a shame it took breaking her hip to get the operation. She made good progress with her recovery.
You are only a millimetre or a millisecond away from the next incident.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy