If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Record Keeping/Site Diary safety equivalent

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

EagleBeagle
Student
Student

Record Keeping/Site Diary safety equivalent

Post by EagleBeagle »

I'm reasonably familiar with safety management systems and the type of registers, records, etc. that would need to be retained and managed. However does anyone have any experience in terms of systematically documenting what they're doing as a H&S professional on a daily basis for the purposes of posterity (but not solely for personal CYA)?

In construction I've heard of things like a "site diary" or equivalent but have never came across a similar model for H&S activities, and have never been familiar with how to use the old hard copy style diaries in this way. Also, the standard site diary concept doesn't always lend itself to H&S activities as in pre-printed ones there is a lot of PM stuff and very little H&S fields.

Anyone got any ideas or came across this problem before? Thanks.
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Re: Record Keeping/Site Diary safety equivalent

Post by Safety »

EagleBeagle that would be some task to record everything your doing on daily basis, I would be interested to know if anyone does this
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
EagleBeagle
Student
Student

Post by EagleBeagle »

Safety wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:08 am EagleBeagle that would be some task to record everything your doing on daily basis, I would be interested to know if anyone does this
Well, significant activities in terms of things observed and basically accounting for your day from the point of view of being read by an observer who may not be familiar with what the range of activities H&S do (i.e. legal) and where there is an unwillingness on the part of the employer to maintain a robust H&S management system or communicate information that might allow one to be implemented.

Obviously it's not a routine case and records would usually be quite evident, but I'm dealing with a particularly difficult employer at the moment where things have reduced to only verbal discussion of issues by phone (initiated always by me), no response to written communication (initiated always by me), and basically avoidance of my position which I feel is going to worsen.

A lot of people in my last thread refers to emailed, would that be sufficient record?
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Post by Safety »

EagleBeagle, I understand now, emails definitely would be sufficient, I would also email them to your personal address if the situation is likely to get worse.

Have you also through about creating a H&S action tracker, you could add your information into that then.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
billinom8s
Student
Student

Post by billinom8s »

A few years back i went through a case with an employer - i cannot give details due to being bound by court documents.
However, having been on the receiving end of bullying by a SMT member for a couple of years and then going through the situation i found myself in, i became switched on to the art of note taking and bullet point recording. Also having eyes in the back of your head and a sense of paranoia helps.

All numbers from employer related people were registered in house and home phone.
Calls were never answered, answer phone messaged collected, recorded to computer file and stored to be transcribed.
Calls returned to incoming employers were done on speaker phone with recording going on.
unusual car plates in the street were noted.
Calls, emails, texts, situations were all recorded in a diary.
Any 1-2-1 chats were recorded using phone or covert usb stick (this caught out a H&S manager and company nurse who went on court records and lied only to be disproven vis recordings and transcription)

There were other other instances but i spent over 2 years being the subject of harassment, abuse, bullying and fabrication from my (now ex) employer. Being paranoid became a way of life for us and it took a while to revert to 'normal'.
If you are preparing a defence against an employer or anyone, the key thing we found was not to talk about it, don't share any details or methods you are using and it can get back to the wrong ears. Going into shutdown worked for us due to the nature of the case and the level of pressure we were under, it may not work for everyone, you have to find your own method.
Remember, you can never have too much evidence, it's down to the lawyers to decide what's going to work in your favour.
Always keep a hard copy as well as your computer copy.
EagleBeagle
Student
Student

Post by EagleBeagle »

Thanks guys for your advice. I hadn't actually used a formal action tracker up to now, but I think it would be a good way of keeping everyone accountable during the collecting up of issues from observations and phone calls. I'm banging in the emails but I'd like to have something central to help ensure a kind of double entry approach.

Sadly I think its getting closer to the healthy dose of paranoia with phone recording and full paper trail as when communication is forthcoming its often the case that I've ended up similar to you billnom8s with bare face lies being trotted out regarding an agreed action, only to find that the polar opposite done on the ground.
billinom8s
Student
Student

Post by billinom8s »

Butt covering time. For your own good I'm afraid,

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy