Wear mask while at gym

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Abigail123

Wear mask while at gym

Post by Abigail123 »

Should I wear a mask while exercising? https://magiskmasters.com/
Last edited by Abigail123 on Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas / Renewables / Consultancy

Re: Wear mask while at gym

Post by wendolene26 »

I'm not sure whereabouts you are in the country, as there are variations on the rules dependent on your location, so my advice would be I expect the gym to display clear signage on the expectations on users of the facility regards the wearing of masks and other control measures.

I hope this helps.

Wendo .salut
You are only a millimetre or a millisecond away from the next incident.
billinom8s
Student
Student

Post by billinom8s »

i wear a mask at the gym, not only does it hide my face and encourage folk to leave me alone to train, it also makes it harder to breathe thus increasing my lung strength, a bit like wearing my gum shield when doing cardio warm up before sparring.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

This is more of a political question than a health and safety one.

If the government in your part of the country say yes, then yes.
If the government have left it up to the gym, then you need to do whatever their risk assessment says, and they should be making that information clear.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want to be in a gym during a pandemic as it seems like the next worst place to be after a nightclub, but then you wouldn't see me in either of those at any other time either!
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Post by Safety »

I think its down to personal choice now, unless the gym stipulates this as mandatory.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

Has anyone ever tried wearing a face covering in the Gym?
Not only is it very difficult, dangerous is probably a better word getting the appropriate amount of oxygen.
Can you imagine the concentration of Corona virus in that mask if the virus is in the air.
billinom8s
Student
Student

Post by billinom8s »

if there is any virus in the air, it will only attach itself to the outside of the mask, unless it's one of the cheap fashion masks that do nothing.

Training with a mask on is a recognised method for increase stamina and lung capacity - it's like altitude training.
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

billinom8s wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:18 am if there is any virus in the air, it will only attach itself to the outside of the mask, unless it's one of the cheap fashion masks that do nothing.

Training with a mask on is a recognised method for increase stamina and lung capacity - it's like altitude training.
It is a known fact that the FFP2 masks do not stop the airborne coronavirus (the standard issue ones you get given) hence why it is stated wearing is only to protect others.
So dry virus will go straight through the mask, however, when it gets to your lungs it may attach or it may not, if not it will be moist air and coming out it will have increased size, this will stop it leaving the mask contaminating everyone else.
So it sits in your mask, when you breath in again you haven new virus coming in and a percentage of the virus trapped in your mask, in can only accumulate.

The whole respirable air, breathable air and contaminants has been studied with asbestos, you don't wear a mask to keep asbestos in.

It's is fine wearing a mask to make it more difficult training if you are already fit, if your a normal bod trying to lose excess baggage, its not fun.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

OK folks, once again for the cheap seats, the virus is NOT airborne. Seriously folks, its not hard to research these things. Its your job.
Face coverings, because thats all you've been advised to wear, will NOT stop an airborne virus. You will need a properly face fitted mask with either decent filters or its own air supply for that.

Face coverings are there to stop droplet transmission only. Thats spit from you talking, droplets from coughing and mucus from sneezing.
Unless you are seriously ill from Cobid (to the point where you WILL be in an ICU) what you breath out does NOT contain enough of a viral load to infect people. Assuming you have the virus at all.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy