Distance learning help

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Joe26

Distance learning help

Post by Joe26 »

Hi all, last year i done iosh managing safely through distance learning and really enjoyed it. I have wanted to do the nebosh general for a while and finally bit the bullet during furlough. I'm not sure if doing it over distance learning is helping me though as i'm finding it a slog. I try and take in every bit of information, whereas an instructor would probably point you in a certain direction and skim over parts that are not so important.

Would looking at past papers and working on wording the answers be a good strategy? I know i ultimately need to follow the course and take in a lot of information but i'm also thinking that trying to memorise 30 slides about section 2 of the health and safety at work act isn't for me.

I know i have got the ability to pass the course. I would probably find a classroom setting more beneficial but finances and time off from work have taken away that option. Any input would be much appreciated.

Joe26
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Distance learning help

Post by Alexis »

Hi there Joe and welcome to HSfB. .cheers

Oh how we all know exactly what you are talking about, ;) Sheesh.....it's a pain in the bahookie at the beginning. Where to start, what to learn, what to read only............

Do not fret. This is why this site was set up all those years ago.

Print off this old post from otto and although very old (unlike otto :lol: ) it is a good overview breakdown and something you can refer to all the way along your study. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6133

If you haven't found our main site pages with all our downloads in them yet, here you go.......... https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/

I have clicked on the NEBOSH bar from the above link, which takes you to this next link..........https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/NEBOSH-Specific

Scroll down to the NEBOSH General Certificate area and you will find links to help you decipher things a bit better. All of the links are excellent and contributed by our amazing members. There are 3 there from Angela Cluley, which would be worthwhile downloading and keeping as handy cards. She has made them print double sided so that you can fold them accordingly for easy reading.

Doing past papers at this moment in your study may just add stress, but that's just my opinion remember.

I would suggest you follow what is being asked in your course notes, submit to your trainer and make sure they give you feedback. The feedback is so important in my view, as it will show you bit by bit where you are going wrong, which you can then apply to the next part of your course.

All of a sudden, after a few of these, a light bulb will go on in your head and you will understand what is required. Promise!

I am hoping some of this helps a bit.

If you have anything that you don't understand, come in here and ask. There is always help at hand here.

Use our search function at the top right hand corner to bring up past posts. We have loads of information in them with people in the same situation as yourself........me included! :lol:

Enjoy your study. You will soon. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
chris carson

Post by chris carson »

Hi Joe

I too did the NGC course distance learning, it's not ideal but it was cheap and cheerful.

Alexis helped me out with more than a few pointers , some were blatantly obvious, some not so.

Don't be afraid to ask if you're unsure in the wording of an answer as NEBOSH are looking for specific wording and your understanding of the command words.

I'm now studying for the Environmental Management certificate and am finding the course very dry with my exams in September.

Good luck
Safe&Sound
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Safe&Sound »

Hi Joe,

I done my NGC a few years back through e-learning as I find I take things in easier than if I was in a classroom. How I studied at the time was reading through the course book and completing the activities in bitesize chunks. Before I moved onto the next section I would first quickly glimpse and recap what I had previously learnt.

I never really used the tutor support or watched the presentations they gave, perhaps looking back I should of. I did find flash cards to be of great use and there is a small a5 sized handbook for NGC revision (I'll have to find the name of it!).

Out of all of it previous exam style questions and reading through examiner notes gave me more confidence to sit the exams. You've come to the right place, this site and the users have a wealth of knowledge and are more than happy to support you.

S&S
Fiona03

Post by Fiona03 »

Hi All,

I don't know if it is my laptop but whenever I click on the links it says "they don't exist?"
Kind Regards

Fiona
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Fiona03 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:01 pm Hi All,

I don't know if it is my laptop but whenever I click on the links it says "they don't exist?"
Kind Regards

Fiona
Sorry Fiona. Please see: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50604

Joe26

Post by Joe26 »

Well after losing complete interest and not logging on to my course for a few months I've decided that i am going to get my head down and crack it. I've only got 6 months left officially but my course supplier said they would extend it if need be. I'm sure i will be online from time to time asking all sorts of random questions :wave:
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Well done Joe. clapclap

We will all watch out for you. :D

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy