TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

covid - office attendance register using QR code system

Post by TWDB »

Evening guys,

Hope everyone is staying safe

I was wondering if anyone was using a QR code system ( or another contactless type) to avoid the traditional signing in book for staff arriving and signing out at offices or on a construction site. for a log for fire drills etc.

i know it sounds like we are behind the times in terms of technology but Covid has prompted us to look at options

we can't use the biometric finger print scan on sites etc for obviously reasons (covid) but thought a scan of a QR code by staff on their mobile phones would work at least at our offices.- as long as secure

thanks in advance

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: covid - office attendance register using QR code system

Post by witsd »

Why not just have a staff member sign the visitor in and out?

What's really gained by having the visitor write some times and a squiggle in their own handwriting?

Don't get me wrong, if you have the cash for the full singing, dancing system that tracks the number of people present, tells you where they will be and prints off a list of those you need to account for when the fire alarm sounds, then great, but do you actually need it?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Get the visitor to sanitise before touching anything.
Then just have a clean pot of pens and a used pot of pens. Someone then uses an anti bacteria wipe to clean the pens.

This is how our canteen runs.
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by TWDB »

Thanks for the Replies guys.

its for all staff not just visitors.

and just looking at modern options to minimise any contact especially in offices

anyone god any experience with such a QR code system?

either way i need to maintain the signing in and out process for fire safety and theis process (as set up before) is not being followed now after lockdown etc
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Ah ok fair enough, that's plenty of people!

No idea about QR code and had never used one until I tried to get a table a Nando's at the weekend :lol:

Good luck!

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

It isnt a register at such but the app we developed includes a self-check for COVID19 for staff to complete each day before they arrive at work. Not sure if that would be of use to you? Feel free to give it a try or drop me a PM if you've any questions.

You can sign up for a free trial of the app at https://takeaim.goodtogosafety.co.uk/
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by TWDB »

grim72 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:00 am It isnt a register at such but the app we developed includes a self-check for COVID19 for staff to complete each day before they arrive at work. Not sure if that would be of use to you? Feel free to give it a try or drop me a PM if you've any questions.

You can sign up for a free trial of the app at https://takeaim.goodtogosafety.co.uk/
Great thanks i'll take a look and be in touch

T
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Why bother with a booking in system. They are notoriously unreliable as does everyone sign out to pop over the road for a sarnie or to have a smoke

Fire wardens sweeping designated areas and reporting their area is clear can be much more reliable
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Are you going to supply a smart phone to employees who dont own one and pay for them to have an internet connection? Up until last year I was using a pay as you go phone I got in 2001. I needed it to phone people not to look at facebook, act as a sat nav, scan qr codes or have the government track my movements. I only upgraded because the battery finally gave up charging properly after 18 years.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Messy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:18 pm Why bother with a booking in system. They are notoriously unreliable as does everyone sign out to pop over the road for a sarnie or to have a smoke

Fire wardens sweeping designated areas and reporting their area is clear can be much more reliable
For fire evacuations, I agree completely.

For getting people to be aware that Big Brother is keeping an eye on you and you'd better not take the mickey too much, you can't beat a signing in process.

:D
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

witsd wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:42 pm For getting people to be aware that Big Brother is keeping an eye on you and you'd better not take the mickey too much, you can't beat a signing in process.

:D
Oh god no. For that you want the owners to have remote access to CCTV. They'll be on it more than facebook and phoning you up every 30 seconds to say why is karen doing this, why isnt johnny doing that, how long does it take for bob to take a poop... worst thing ever.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

It's more a case of signing in the visitors so that your contractors don't actively take the mickey.

Being able to phone up a company once to say "Please don't ever send Joe Bloggs again, as he did XYZ" works wonders for future interactions.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy