Fire exit route sigange - does it need to illuminated or luminous for use outside on a earthworks project

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Fire exit route sigange - does it need to illuminated or luminous for use outside on a earthworks project

Post by TWDB »

Hi All,

Hope everyone one staying safe.

can anyone advise - all guidave i can find covers internal and building related , but i'm on a construction site outside and we have a network of pedestrian footways which need fire exit signage along the fence lines.

the Welfare is all compliant but need to find a solution and the requirements for outside .

Fire exit route signage - does it need to illuminated or luminous for use outside on a earthworks project.

Thanks

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Fire exit route sigange - does it need to illuminated or luminous for use outside on a earthworks project

Post by Waterbaby »

Bump ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Fire exit route sigange - does it need to illuminated or luminous for use outside on a earthworks project

Post by witsd »

Is the place manned during hours of darkness? If it isn't at the moment, will that still be the case in a few week's time as the days get shorter?

Is there existing illumination along the pathways? If so, does it already provide sufficient light levels to read the signs?

Honestly, I'd just try to apply a common sense approach to this rather than looking for guidance that probably doesn't exist!
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I totally agree with the above.

Signs might be useful, especially if the earthworks mean that the escape route may change, but procedures such as a walk around briefing and/or plan of the site may be just as useful.

Numbers of people expected to use the route may influence your decision, and you may well decide luminous signs are required. But illuminated? As in maintained emergency lighting? It seems a huge effort for what (in my imagination) may well be a low risk
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

As a rule of thumb photoluminescent signs aren't recommended fro external use as they need good light to generate/store the glow which isn't guaranteed outdoors. If in doubt get in touch with the PSPA for advice - https://www.thepspa.com/ Also worht noting that you get many different grades of photoluminescence with varying degrees of brightness and longevity so if you do go down that route make sure you go for a high grade material - see the PSPSA classification table for info: https://www.thepspa.com/clasification/

I wouldn't install any signs below a Class C grade (internal or external)
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

The test is, can you find your way out in the dark, safely, without taking wrong turns or tripping over things? If you can then what do you need illuminated signs for. If you cant, then you will need illumination of some kind.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy