Installing CCTV Cameras

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Ader1
Student
Student

Installing CCTV Cameras

Post by Ader1 »

If working on CCTV cameras, which are placed on street lights no higher than say 4 meters usually, what type of access equipment is suitable to use? I would have said a ladder but is a ladder suitable for working against a lamp post? What's the best way of securing it? Thanks.
Andyblue

Re: Installing CCTV Cameras

Post by Andyblue »

As a quick reply - so you shin up a ladder and keeping three points of contact at the top, how much work could you safely do on the cctv? MEWP/ cherry picker seems the way to go and do so safely.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Depends on a few factors:
The time required.
The complexity of the task, i.e. tapping into the supply at the lamp head I assume...

Crucial one, how strong is the lamppost? Many modern aluminium ones can't take the weight of a ladder.

If it can take the weight, there are Ladder Stand-offs that are notched to go against a post or building corner, also strap devices that go across the top of the ladder.
You can tie off to the base of the post.
You can use a waist strap to secure to the ladder, thus having 3 points of contact.
So do a Risk Assessment based on these factors and whatever other factors are involved.

Don't forget that telephone engineers still climb telegraph poles in rural areas to work; it's not all green boxes and underground cable/fibre.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Ader1
Student
Student

Post by Ader1 »

OK thank you for both replies. The options are as far as I can see a ladder or a mewp. I suppose a scaffold could also be used but it wouldn't be reasonably practicable. I'm confused as I haven't been asked to suggest either just all the possible control measures when working on a CCTV camera for a short period of time. Less than 10 minutes. But is suggesting a ladder or a mewp control measures? I'm getting a little confused. Are means of access control measures? It's a hypothetical scenario.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy