Covid-19 temperature testing of employees

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

StupidQuestions

Covid-19 temperature testing of employees

Post by StupidQuestions »

Has anyone implemented this and if so what process have you implemented regarding the safety of person taking the measurements (we're purchasing the IR forehead type testers), the safety of the test subject and procedure for retest or sending home etc?

I've searched here and on the web but not finding any real clear guidance. I know this isn't one of the recommendations in the Gov guidance but we feel that anything we do to demonstrate to employees we are protecting them is a good step.

Also, I understand that I will need to get their permission and will not be recording anything unless of course we send someone home - normal HR records of absence.

Thanks in advance.
ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Logistics & warehousing

Re: Covid-19 temperature testing of employees

Post by ScottD »

We have introduced this at my work. We are using the IR forehead thermometers also. We test everyone every day and record the temperature looking for an increase through the week. The tester wears a medical mask, safety glasses, disposable gloves and a full face visor. There is also a screen we build to shield the tester (this is used when there are a number of guys to do) and the person being tested stands sideways to the tester, not facing them also with a medical mask on. It is working well for us and we have no plans to change this in the current situation.
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult
StupidQuestions

Post by StupidQuestions »

Thanks for that, sounds similar to my thoughts. Do you send them home straight away if they fail or give them a chance to cool down and perform a re-test? It's getting warm out there and we may get false results. I guess if they fail consistently that is sufficient for them to get tested straight away and the return to work is then a simple yes or no - isolate for 7 days.
ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by ScottD »

I isolate them for 15mins, we have guys walking and arriving by bike etc. so yes, a false reading is a possibility. We use a different person to do the retest and even a different thermometer. It is either the GM or MD who does the second test and they make the on the spot decision to send them home if it is still high. If it is back down to within normal we will speak to the guy later in the morning and do a random test again just to make sure.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

ScottD wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:25 am We have introduced this at my work. We are using the IR forehead thermometers also. We test everyone every day and record the temperature looking for an increase through the week. The tester wears a medical mask, safety glasses, disposable gloves and a full face visor. There is also a screen we build to shield the tester (this is used when there are a number of guys to do) and the person being tested stands sideways to the tester, not facing them also with a medical mask on. It is working well for us and we have no plans to change this in the current situation.
Why are you wearing glasses and a full visor?
ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by ScottD »

Company overkill...… but it does ease the worries of the tester for sure. Safety glasses are standard for our work and the visor is a bit of reassurance which they appreciate.
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

ScottD wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:25 am . We test everyone every day and record the temperature looking for an increase through the week.
As a practical point, how long are You looking to retain the temp records for?
ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by ScottD »

I am keeping them all for the foreseeable just now, We have not decided yet the storage time. It is a record so we may keep them for 1 year.
stretch3144
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Health and Safety Consultant

Post by stretch3144 »

My company introduced this back in April. We get the employee to put on a nitrile glove, pick up the thermometer and self test, then show the result to the supervisor. This is done at the start of shift by the two clocking stations. We also provide hand sanitiser and cleaning wipes.
We are not recording temperatures as this could be against GDPR.
Anyone with a high temperature is asked to wait outside for ten minutes, then retested.
A high temperature (37.8 Deg C) or above will be asked to go home and self isolate for 7 days - haven't had any yet fortunately.
By the employee self testing, takes away any risk to our managers.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

So whats the forehead temperature range that people should be looking for ? i cant find any guidance on adults only kids.
ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by ScottD »

Hi Stephen,

To be honest, I looked for this when we set up our testing procedure. It seems to be that the digital forehead thermometers are normally associated with a non invasive way to measure kids. We are taking temperatures on the forehead in a consistent manner so the test procedure is the same. This is one of the main reasons we are recording temperature to look for fluctuations from a persons average temperature (taken over the previous 2 weeks results). There are charts online showing the areas for taking temperature but I don't think any of us want to go for the most accurate form of temperature taking (rectal thermometer !!!)
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

Hi folks - I was on an IOSH webinar today relating to getting back to work.
One question that was asked to one of the presenters - and skillfully dodged - was the question of data protection when checking temperatures etc.

Is this a genuine concern? I could maybe see the point if you were carrying out some medical tests, but remote temperature checks?

Thanks
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy