Mobile ladders with platforms as permanent stairs

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Mobile ladders with platforms as permanent stairs

Post by stephen1974 »

So I just had this question from one of my advisors. is it appropriare to use mobile steps as permanent access to another level, in this case, where they store parts that someone would have to carry up and down.

Initially I thought, I dont have a problem with that, but then I thought about carrying parts and asked if they had used the stairs and they said they didnt feel comfortable coming down forwards, they would only come down backwards, in which case, three points of contact are required imo.

They wanted something legislative to point to and say you cnat do this because xyz. Nothing sprang to mind so i'm looking through stuff at the moment but if anyone can suggest anything it would be apreciated.
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Mobile ladders with platforms as permanent stairs

Post by Waterbaby »

Bump ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Hi Stephen,

Not something I would recommend. It only takes someone to move them or something to fail and add someone else not paying attention or seeing as they are carrying a box.
I would see this is a foreseeable risk and would be highlighted as such in a risk assessment of the area or process.

Obviously thoughts given without seeing anything.

Regards
Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

The best I can suggest is that...
A) If you intend to use them as stairs they must conform to stairs as laid out in part K of the building regs (which i dont believe they do)
B) If you dont want to call them stairs then they are ladders/steps and must be used in the appropriate manner, and you cant do that carrying items of various shapes, size and weight up and down them.

in short, not suitable, build proper stairs.

But like I said, my advisor wanted to quote "section this from regulation that" at the client.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

This is NOT my area, but wouldn't the frequency of use, the height of the access equipment, the weight and size of items expected to be lifted - all be part of an overall RA?

Libraries and small engineering stores regularly use wheeled or sliding access ladder type arrangements to reach higher shelves.

If this is unacceptable, will the BBC have to re-shoot/re-edit the Two Ronnies 'Four Candles' sketch now as they use such a ladder to reach the 'Os"???? ;)
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

stephen1974 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:37 am But like I said, my advisor wanted to quote "section this from regulation that" at the client.
Are we being fixated on the "quote act and section part and not looking at the scenario. AFAIK, there is not exact act, regulation or section which quotes '3 points of contact' and so forth, such comments are an application of the acts / regs etc rather than the regs themselves.
So what do we know abbot the 'Mobile steps', the OP suggest walking down them forwards is not an enjoyable option, is that due to the angle, step width, etc. How mobile are they, have they been modified or secured. If they are a temporary option, how long is temporary and do we have a final outcome to work towards.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Messy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:27 am This is NOT my area, but wouldn't the frequency of use, the height of the access equipment, the weight and size of items expected to be lifted - all be part of an overall RA?
The reality is 90% of our clients dont do risk assessments, regardless of what we say to them.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Andyblue wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:18 pm
stephen1974 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:37 am But like I said, my advisor wanted to quote "section this from regulation that" at the client.
Are we being fixated on the "quote act and section part and not looking at the scenario.
No. I look at the scenario, my colleague likes to look at regulations. She couldnt find any that fitted the bill, asked me, i couldnt think of any so asked here. I didnt think there would be any, but thought id ask.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy