Toolbox talk on PPE

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Ader1
Student
Student

Toolbox talk on PPE

Post by Ader1 »

I've just recently passed my NEBOSH General Certificate and been asked to help with a tool-box talk on PPE. Some members of staff haven't been wearing hard hats and gloves when carrying out their work. Any ideas/pointers as to how I should approach this? I can already see that I won't be helping with the tool-box talk but basically preparing it all myself. I guess it's experience. :-) Thanks.
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Toolbox talk on PPE

Post by Waterbaby »

#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Ader1
Student
Student

Post by Ader1 »

Thank you very much.
joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by joaorosa80 »

Saying that you should be using PPE because just because, in the policy, in the law...etc can become quite boring.
For the gloves, do a small exercise, different risk vs different standards, mechanical vs chemical vs hot temperature protection, etc
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

We used to conduct a little exercise (kitchen staff) where we imagined they had sliced their thumb & first finger, we bandaged the thumb and first finger together (so they couldnt use them) of there right hand (if right handed), then asked them to do simple tasks like send a text, tie their shoe laces, write a simple note and they found these tasks so much harder, nigh on impossible in some cases.

The culture was of them not wearing cut resistant gloves (when required), this exercise soon had them thinking what it may be like f they cut themselves badly with a knife and increased the use of said gloves ;)

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Ader1
Student
Student

Post by Ader1 »

Can someone help me? Which law states that an employee has a duty to wear PPE decided upon by the employer?
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator

Post by WillPool »

A brief guide to PPE from the HSE website:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg174.pdf

However if I were you I wouldnt quote legislation in a TBT, real turn off for those listening.

Will .salut
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Spot someone without their hat on, call an impromptu meeting, fire plonka on the spot for gross misconduct, have someone mop up tears to avoid a slip hazard.

Just trollin...
Ader1
Student
Student

Post by Ader1 »

WillPool wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:10 am A brief guide to PPE from the HSE website:

However if I were you I wouldnt quote legislation in a TBT, real turn off for those listening.

Will .salut
Surely the objective is to make sure they understand the seriousness of not properly using PPE? That the law requires the employer to supply PPE and that they're legally required to use it? That's all I've been told is to give a toolbox talk on PPE. I'm trying to start from the point of making them understand that they're legally obliged to wear it. The toolbox talks I've found on this site have mentioned legislation but OK I haven't seen them quote legislation verbatim.

What should my 'Aim' be for this toolbox talk?
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator

Post by WillPool »

Ader1 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:03 pm
WillPool wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:10 am A brief guide to PPE from the HSE website:

Will .salut
Surely the objective is to make sure they understand the seriousness of not properly using PPE? That the law requires the employer to supply PPE and that they're legally required to use it? That's all I've been told is to give a toolbox talk on PPE. I'm trying to start from the point of making them understand that they're legally obliged to wear it. The toolbox talks I've found on this site have mentioned legislation but OK I haven't seen them quote legislation verbatim.

What should my 'Aim' be for this toolbox talk?
Your aim for any TBT is a refresher on what staff already know, not to teach them legislation.

In my opinion, HSE professionals know the legislation and then need to be able to ensure the employer and employees comply with the legislation through communication, training and leading by example.

PPE requirements should be part of a formal training/induction for your staff.

You can state it is a mandatory requirement for them both through legislation and company H&S Policy/Site Safety Plan etc.

What does your H&S Policy state about PPE? What does your H&S Policy (or HR Policy) state about non-compliance? Have the staff seen these documents?

If you have a negative safety culture you need to find ways to engage with the staff to improve the culture and trying to get them to do it through choice and not by disciplinary means. (However saying that you need to have some discipline in place for repeat offenders).

You also need to remember that PPE is the last line of protection and work tasks should be planned using the hierarchy of controls to engineer out hazards and risks, put other control measures in place before PPE.

Will .salut
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Ader1
Student
Student

Post by Ader1 »

Thanks Will.
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Buy a Melon and put a hard hat on it. Drop a spanner or something on it to show the protection.
Then do it again without the hard hat...that could be someone's head :)

More of a visual thing.

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy