Computer says no!

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

kngc
Industry Sector: Health and Social Care

Computer says no!

Post by kngc »

Have you ever gone through the full process of risk assessment, starting with critical analysis outlining your justification and then got to the end of the process and said; nope not happening!?

If so, how did you document that?

Sorry, I like to challenge the knowledge with random questions!

K
Safety is no accident!
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Computer says no!

Post by stephen1974 »

Not sure what you mean, but i'm guessing you are saying the risk cannot be eliminated or controlled and therefore you cant justify the activity going ahead?
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

In terms of documenting it, depending on the risk assessment process you have probably already done it. Part of the role that I enjoy is the challenge of finding a safe way to achieve an objective. I tend to state that we do not currently have a safe method for doing something rather than an indefinite 'it can't be done'. I would involve the right people with knowledge and experience of the task and lay down the challenge to work together to find a solution or at very least a compromise!
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

I've never found a situation where safe working could not be achieved.
Sometimes task duration or the number of operations complicates things and splitting the task into stages helps.
The task may involve doing something complicated in a hazardous environment, but this can be overcome by either moving part of the task to a safe environment (pre assembly for example) or changing the conditions of the hazardous environment to make it safer.
Do you have an example where the computer would say no ?
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

kevlarion wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:22 am I've never found a situation where safe working could not be achieved.
The only issue I have had is with nonsense risk ratings, you know the thing, L x S = R etc... We used yp have a consultant that determined safe working was only achievable when the R was below a certain figure. I didnt always agree that we could get the risk down as much as he wanted, mainly because the company woulnt pay for proper equipment, but then the company would give you grief because the consultant was saying we were not doing enough.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Everything is relative.
I once worked for a guy in the late 80s who was a former lowish level manager at a nuclear power plant in Scotland.
He told me that annually, there was a requirement to clear the sediment out of a section of the water cooling system.
The only way to achieve it was for people to get in there and do it with buckets and spades.
Everyone including managers took a turn, in order to spread the radiation dose out across everyone on the workforce to keep it within limits! :shock:
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy